Fewer applicants in 2003?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could not find the thread where this topic was discussed. I have an update. I looked into the number of MCAT takers from the previous years and this year. So far there were more poeple taking test in April 2002 than in 2001 (There is ~700 people difference between the numbers which is not that significant). However, the April 2002 number is really close to the one for April 2000 test administration. Which mean that it is time to tie the belts, and this year is not going to be any different from the previous. Or no... I forgot, AMCAS is working fine so far (I will keep my fingers crossed)

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible you may be at the crest of the good economy shuffle. It'll definitely be more in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
there you go

Here is the general pattern: economy takes a nose dive = # applicants go way up. think about it, you can't get a job so you go back to school!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Perseverant 1:
•Here is the general pattern: economy takes a nose dive = # applicants go way up. think about it, you can't get a job so you go back to school!•••••Generally this is true, but I'm not so sure if it applies to med school.

Law and grad school apps have shot way up recently, but med school apps are still falling. Now that might be due to the fact that it takes longer to prep for med school so that there is a delay between the onset of a bad marketplace and the rise in med school apps. I'm just saying that its certainly not clear that med school follows the same trends as other grad programs during an economic downturn.

an aamc report said that there is a 3-4 year lag between economic downturn and increase in applicant # (i read that on some other thread)
-jot

Yeah, there has to be a delay in responding to a bad or good economy, but the trend is definitely there.

What this means is we had better all get in THIS YEAR because reapplying next year is going to be no fun at all!

Yikes.

~Alison

Hmmm...this is the second thread that mentions AAMC's published articles about the applicant stats for 2003 and the upcoming years. Yet, I've searched for hours, and nothing has showed up. Please do not fabricate references, and if you have references to those articles, please give the urls. :p

If you look at AAMC sheet that you get along with your score there is a number of applicants. This years number is 25,629, about the same as in previous years. The data about the previous years is located on AAMC web site in Examinee section.

according to the AAMC data, I would also think that the number of applicants would be less or equal to the number from last year. Or at least I hope so. However, I don't think it will drop below 30K, in which case would be excellent :wink:

I attended a prehealth advisors meeting this week, and the AAMC folks who did a presentation said that the number of people who took the 2002 April MCAT increased by 4% over the number who took the same test last year. They didn't give hard numbers, but it may be a trend.

Also interesting is that 4% fewer people applied last year in 2001 than in the previous year (2000). Maybe application levels are simply rebounding to levels two years ago, and last year saw fewer applications for any number of reasons, which could include 9/11, the AMCAS fiasco, etc.