Fewer Int'l Opportunities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quicksilver2

Expect me when you see me
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. While on the interview trail, one program told us that while they'd love to have residents do away elective rotations internationally, it was much more difficult than it was just a year or two ago. Apparently the issue isn't the program or the institution (and I believe this, given the other things I know about this particular place), but Medicare is cracking down, more or less stating that if they're funding residencies, we should be here providing care domestically. They were still willing to try to work something out, but it had become much harder, apparently. It also sounded like one could go if you were willing to forgo being paid, but there were also liability issues to be dealt with.

This is the first I've heard of this: many programs have been going around talking about their int'l opportunities, etc. Now, while the availability of int'l electives isn't a high priority for me, I was surprised to hear about this when so many other programs haven't mentioned it.

Does anyone else have any information on this?

Members don't see this ad.

just seconding my interest in hearing more. If you know, DO tell!

quicksilver2 said:
Hi, all. While on the interview trail, one program told us that while they'd love to have residents do away elective rotations internationally, it was much more difficult than it was just a year or two ago. Apparently the issue isn't the program or the institution (and I believe this, given the other things I know about this particular place), but Medicare is cracking down, more or less stating that if they're funding residencies, we should be here providing care domestically. They were still willing to try to work something out, but it had become much harder, apparently. It also sounded like one could go if you were willing to forgo being paid, but there were also liability issues to be dealt with.

This is the first I've heard of this: many programs have been going around talking about their int'l opportunities, etc. Now, while the availability of int'l electives isn't a high priority for me, I was surprised to hear about this when so many other programs haven't mentioned it.

Does anyone else have any information on this?

USeF said:
just seconding my interest in hearing more. If you know, DO tell!

You know about as much as I know at this point. :)