Fiancee..."family"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

incubus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I have a friend who is now a second year working on getting transferred to where his fiancee will be having a complicated surgery that would hinder her ability to move around freely. He would like to know, and I would really appreciate it if anyone on this discussion board can tell me whether fiancee counts as "family" to med schools which specifically stipulate that compelling reasons must be part of the requirements for initiating a transfer application. My guess is that it counts but...

Thanks a bunch guys.

Members don't see this ad.

If he needs to transfer because of her, he should just assume that she counts, and contact the school he wants to be at. They'll tell him if she doesn't count to them, but better to act as if she is family, and therefore a compelling reason, rather than possibly put in in their head that a fiancee is not. Just my opinion.

just curious, if your spouse gets a job in a different city and has to move, is that good enough reason to transfer? thanx

You can certainly try. You may be asked to prove why it was so important that s/he took that job, and couldn't have just gotten one where you go to school.

Transfers are by no means guaranteed, and some schools, like mine, don't even accept applications to transfer, so don't send your spouse to the city where you wanted to go to school and assume that yu can get in the back door. That said, it doesn't hurt to inquire/apply.

Again, just an uninformed opinion.