(Figure in Thread) Most stable chair conformation of cis-1-tert-isopropyl-4-methylcyclohexane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Young741

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why? Doesn't choice A exhibit 1,3-diaxial interaction in both conformational isomers?

(cred to Sterling Test Prep)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 1.16.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 1.16.04 PM.png
    221.7 KB · Views: 41
Choice D is more stable than choice A, but the question stem specifically states the compound is cis, while choice D is trans. I forget the technical explanation, but the way I do it is that every alternating carbon should be in the same position for cis. So for C-1 (isopropyl) is in the equatorial position, then cis side groups on C-3 and C-5 should be also equatorial and C-2,4,6 should be axial for them to be considered cis. methyl is on C-4 so the cis position is shown in A

Reactions: 1 user
Choice D is more stable than choice A, but the question stem specifically states the compound is cis, while choice D is trans. I forget the technical explanation, but the way I do it is that every alternating carbon should be in the same position for cis. So for C-1 (isopropyl) is in the equatorial position, then cis side groups on C-3 and C-5 should be also equatorial and C-2,4,6 should be axial for them to be considered cis. methyl is on C-4 so the cis position is shown in A
I'm such an idiot. HA! It said cis in the question stem. Ugh this is a big problem for me....

But Thank you so much for your quick reply :))))