1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Figuring GPAs fairly

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by burlypie, Mar 16, 2002.

1. burlypie

burlypie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a little new to the GPA world (I never got a real grade in college) but now I'm seeing how it's working in my postbac work.

My school assigns different grade points for an A versus and A-, B versus B-, etc. It seems fair enough, but not when you compare that to other schools that give a 4 for any kind of A, + or -.

Do admissions committees, or even the AAMC, take these differing systems into account? I guess they see all the grades straight up anyway, but on a glance at the GPA it would be nice if everyone was on the same playing field.

When I was applying to the UCs for undergrad, we had to compute our GPA on THEIR standards. I guess what I'm asking is, do we get to do that for med school applications as well?

Thanks!! I don't post often but I'm addicted to reading SDN...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. med student

med student Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

One thing that many people fail to realize is that AAMC has it's own set of rules for computing GPA. They sound similar to your school's but there are some other differeneces based on what classes different universities calculate into the GPA. Like at my school my GPA only included classes I took there and not summer classes I took at another school but AAMC counts all your classes. So don't worry about what other schools do because medical schools only look at your GPA calculated by AAMC.

4. burlypie

burlypie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]