Fil-Am adjusting to PI life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masaya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This may seem like a petty, silly question, but wanted to know if it was difficult adjusting to life in the Philippines. I was born there, but left at a young age. I've vacationed there, but spent most of it in air conditioned homes, cars, malls, etc., i.e., never exprienced true weather. I know money goes a long way in terms of comfort, but I personally will have some financial constraints. So... before I commit to 4 or 5 years there, I'd like to hear the worst case scenarios. Of course I'm committed to med and it'll be more than worth it, but... just want to be prepared. BTW, I do speak Tagalog so figure that'll go a long way.

More specifically, heard there is flooding in the UST area... is it really so common, and how severe? Are there affordable, safe, quiet living accomodations nearby?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might shed light on this concern =)

Members don't see this ad.

hello, too, masaya! :) :) :)

With regards to difficulties in adjusting to life in the Philippines, I'm sure you'll be okay. You know how to speak Tagalog (this sure is a plus) and if you might find it hard to communicate, you can always speak in English. ;)

But I have to warn you about the weather, though. It can get pretty hot and humid here at times, especially at noon and in the afternoon. Sometimes, it rains all of a sudden, so it is best to be equipped with an umbrella, especially at this time of the year.

For your questions about UST, I'm afraid I can't answer them because I live down South--in Cebu. Maybe some of the guys from Manila can answer them.

So, when are you planning to come here?

UST is a known place to flood all the time. I heard they can go up to your knees during heavy rains.
You can adjust to the life in the Philippines, I've heard of a few Americans who studied there and graduated. It's mind over matter-it's a livable country- you just have to make some some adjustments. Be prepared to meet people who hasn't set foot in America yet act more "westernized"/high maintenance than you. :smuggrin:
Traffic is bad, air, land, and water pollution allover manila, area is very congested, tropical storms frequently visit the country, and other typical third-world country problems. Yet even with all these negative points regarding the Philippines, I still miss it. I wish I'm still there because life there is fun!

jetskiters said:
hello, too, masaya! :) :) :)

With regards to difficulties in adjusting to life in the Philippines, I'm sure you'll be okay. You know how to speak Tagalog (this sure is a plus) and if you might find it hard to communicate, you can always speak in English. ;)

But I have to warn you about the weather, though. It can get pretty hot and humid here at times, especially at noon and in the afternoon. Sometimes, it rains all of a sudden, so it is best to be equipped with an umbrella, especially at this time of the year.

For your questions about UST, I'm afraid I can't answer them because I live down South--in Cebu. Maybe some of the guys from Manila can answer them.

So, when are you planning to come here?

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year medical student here. UST med. I live really near the school , on one of the borders near the lacson gate. i have been lucky since the flood hasnt affected me much. it got stuck only once, and it was definitely up to my knees. It didnt matter though since I was coming back from hangin out at 2 in the mornin, it hasnt happened during school days but if it did school would be canceled anyway. Trust me the flood its not that bad. I have been here for 5 months and nothin big really happened.

If you are looking for good accomodations in the Ubelt area. Check out www.ubelt.net .

rec'd this thru PM... think it was meant for forum

Now to answer someones pm..which i think would be helpful for others...

Since you know tagalog..you'll be fine really. Only ones who have a problem are filams who don't really. But you get buy of course

Well adjusting..there are lots of thing.
1. Getting used to the peso rate...because i'm used to dollars all my life..it's one of the things i still ahve problem. I usually adjust to dollars still.
2. Airconitioned areas...well while yes it's a 3rd world country. It does get really bad and you need to get use to the warmer weather for awhile. When your outside you sweat. But like when you go to school...normally classes are cool and you don't have to worry about it. For me only during anatomy lab do i have problems with it being hot since it's not really aircondition since they have to ventilate it. Also we study at like coffee places..so yeah it's airconditioned. We even call one starbucks..the frozen tundra..and yes i bring a thick sweater there when i study. For school..you don't ahve to worry about it..it's just when your out of the building..and when i go to like malls and stuff i really don't sweat so don't know..unless you sweat a lot. It's not really a problem...only when your not indoors.
3. Let see going out...hmm you'll have to say goodbye to most of your beers...but like san mig isn't all that bad. Also it's cheaper if you get local stuff.. Movie theaters are nicer..but sometiems they have ******ed film version that skip sometimes litterally..which irritates me. Since i got here some movies come here immediately like star wars 3 came fast and others that are important lets say. Like harry potter will be here the opening week...some of course really take a long time. Like example fever pitch..was in dvd in the states and like just came out last month.
4. Financially look into a stafford loan..for schooling...some of my friends have it. It'll help..since it's like 18,500 i think subsidized and unsubsidzed
5. Cell phone..i'd be honest go to tmobile get the phone you like there or any other company that uses sim..get it fixed and work over here. It's basically the same. I remember someone telling me dont' worry about phones it's cheaper in the phillippines...blah. There are ones over in teh states i like from tmobile like the sidekick..that you can't find here really.
6. One thing that you really have to get used to is wearing uniforms...it get's very bland after awhile. While yes..you know exactly what to wear when you wake up...it gets boring. Also seeing the opposite sex...yeah...not flatter for girls lets just say. That's a big adjustment hahah since i'm used to having color in my life...not just white.
7. Dating...ask your parents or friends...litterally big adjustment...courting girls...dating in general...like for example depending on the type of girl you going out with..the good girls...getting the first kiss can be a good bit of a wait..not like in the states were you can get it in the first date.
8. Getting a haircut..man it can take awhile..since yeah..they use scissors sometimes instead of the razors..even if they have one...and it's much better haircut and cleaner well to me. But you might need to bring a picture of what you want..because they might not know what hair style you have or want. hahah that was one of my big adjustment..took awhile to find one who knows what i want and can do it well
9. Taxi..that's what is my worse experience...since they hella get picky sometimes if you wanna go somewhere so sometiems it takes awhile to find one who'll get you from UST to wherever. Worse case was waiting like 1 hour outside for a silly cab. Generally going from Makati or whatever to UST it's pretty fast. Some have drivers..i'm considreing getting a car myself haha.
10. Books..of course it's weird here..some are xeroxed some are international version. But i would recommend a good anatomy book with pictures from the states...of course grey's is good but it's hella big. There is one that is really good i'd recommend..since i'm borrowing it from one of teh 2nd years..it has a good disccected versoin for anatomy practicals.
11. Directions/Map..since i'm one of those that drive in teh staes i get used to streets and stuff because i drive it and learn it myself. When i'm in a cab, i get lazy so usually talk or whatever so i still knwo what it looks like if i'm going the right way..but don't know the streets i'm drving at...i got to get better at that haah

To be honest...i really don't have any problems here. It's okay here...just got to get used to things. Your dollar stretches farther...but like don't ask me really. I sort of work still in the dollar world here..so i don't have that much problems when it comes to worry about money. So my experience wouldn't be really good to compare too. Because typical schedule honestly is school..go to a coffee house in another part via taxi...during the weekend i'm usually in makati. Going out usually da fort or makati. Luckily knock on wood nothing really bad has happened to me. After getting used to thing so course. Going out is fun when you go out...if you go to ust..you'll have a good filam base since it's one of the bigger population out here. From what i see..since we all go out or from the ones that do on the occasional week we can go out..which honestly isn't. Also if your from a big city...then club fees are really cheap..sometimes i just spend 30 dollars on drinks and entrance..even if we go to a karokee bar..somethign you got to get used to hhahah. I think honestly you'll enjoy it here..remember 1 year in america medical school...literall is 4 years in school here...that's a big point you need to really consider.

Question about safe, living.
Yeah..they have guards...just know which type of person you are first when you decide to look for place to stay. If you are the type that study with groups..then don't go crazy with a nice place just something nice. becuase honestly sometimes you only come home just to sleep, shower, and change of clothes. Some places even have liek a study area in the actual building which is nice since you can mingle with others and just go downstairs to study. If your that type of person of course...just know what type of person you are. As compare to afforadable...like it ranges of course...but you can find one like less than $200 american if you want to be alone...of course sharing makes it loads cheaper. Really just ask one of us if you really are consdiering which place to stay at. Just make sure it's high. Some of my friends live in condos nearby which are nice.

Now something you might want to look into while still in the states:
The biggest hastle some of my friends have is Student VISA and immigration. Ask phlipsquad about this, but it's hella a problem for some of my friends. For me luckily when i was asked what i was goign to declare if dual citizen or student my dad called one of his friends and had it done the next day.

But some of my friends have to pay stupid fees, have to go through stupid hassles, skip class sometimes just to do paperword or checkups or what not. I really don't know honestly. Also, you'd have to go through these hassle a lot. I have one friend who pays like every 2 months like 100 american becuase of her student visa thing. Or from what i'm told she's a filam who is from china..so dont' know if that made a difference. It's like a cash cow for them i think.

But if you decide to consider looking into dual citizenship...go to one of the embassy in america. I heard from another filam, it took him 1 week for it get done there. Which i would highly recommend, unless you know people of course i guess..not sure about this one. But in the phillippines, i was told it was suppose to take roughly 6 months.

Well i think that answers most of the stuff..i hope it help..sorry everyone for a loooooong post..have fun and ingat

GoldenAzn

just can't get over how helpful everyone is... thank you all for the replies to my post and for all the other info volunteered elsewhere. i was so excited and anxious about going to school in the PI, but now i'm just excited =) thanks to the honest insight of y'all, at least i know what to expect and can deal w/ it.

i'm actually considering UERM more these days. found out they have a new program where you can spend your ENTIRE 4th yr at an affiliate in chicago... if you're us citizen/perm resident. don't know much about the costs yet though.

also, posted about this somewhere else, but there is such a thing as a fifth pathway that seems like a great, but expensive, option (also for us citizen/perm resident). you spend ur 4th yr at NY school of medicine and eventually get diploma from NY board of education. at least that's how i understand it. here's a link if u want more info http://www.fifthpathway.com/hot_links/links.html

again.. thanks ever so much. OR, maraming maraming salamat sa inyong lahat!

just wanted to comment about UERM's 4th year clerkship in chicago... hmmm, i dunno if you'll be able to spend the WHOLE 4th year there. i'm currently a 3rd year at UE and so far we must take two rotations here in the philippines: community medicine and one other "major" rotation. (i'm choosing to take optha/ent here, which is a month long). but yes, everything else we can take outside -- either in new york or chicago, provided there are openings.

as for adjusting to life in the PI -- tagalog definitely goes a long way. but there's tons of americanized places -- your usual starbucks, coffee bean, seattle's, etc to study at. not to mention yummy restaurants everywhere. and yup, things are cheaper here than in the states so enjoy that -- food, shopping, etc. and for going out? there's cool places too. this may sound weird, but sometimes i've even forgotten i'm here in da phils. so yeah, adjustment-wise, you'll be alright. good luck! :)

thanks for the input dawnee... although, not too sure about UERM anymore since they don't qualify for FAFSA. the tuition isn't too bad, it's just that one time $10k fee for "foreigners".

actually, i did hear that if you are dual citizen, you can just claim filipino citizenship and be exempt from the out-of-state-fee regardless of where you graduated from. this is just for UERM... the trade-off is you just won't be able to do rotations in the U.S. this info is via phone w/ a clerk there, so not sure how accurate it is. are there any ue students out there that can comment or maybe have chosen this route already?

also, would anyone know if you can do "rotations" post grad? just to get US experience? i think ny school of med has a yr long program, but was wondering if there was anything shorter.

guess it's a blessing in disguise i won't be starting next year - there seems to be add'l things to consider... thx again for any input :p