Filing for disability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chibipinkneko

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I used the search function and couldn't find anything that answered my question. Basically the situation is this. I'm a licensed pharmacist and am temporarily disabled. The disability will last at least six more months. The main reason I want to file is to forestall my loans. I graduated last year, so the grace period is long gone, and I'm not sure how much longer I can have them in forbearance. This is my question, would filing a disability claim affect my ability to practice pharmacy in the near future?

A bit of history. . . I have several hip injuries, and this whole thing has been going on for 3.5 years. I've had one surgery, and I'm getting another one. I may need one more. I have two bad hips. The next surgery takes place in a month, and the doctor told me I'll be on crutches for 3 months after that. I have a torn hip labrum with hip impingement, and she needs to shave down the bone on my femur and stitch up the hip labrum. Currently I am unable to stand for longer than an hour or sit in a chair. I can't go grocery shopping or cook. I'm unable to do pretty much everything, so working right now is out of the question. Six months from now I'll probably be okay. I had surgery on my right hip labrum 2.5 years ago, and started pharmacy rotations 2 weeks later, which was a huge mistake. I don't want to repeat that again, so I want to give myself adequate recovery time.

Any help would be appreciated 🙂
 
I have met a pharmacist who was paraplegic, and there used to be one in my region who lost an arm at the shoulder in a childhood accident.

You need to talk to a disability rights attorney as far as filing for benefits goes.