Filipino & Med School At 31?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chico

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm currently a radiologic technology intern from the Philippines and I intend to continue to med school this coming June however I will be 31 when I begin this June. Can anyone give some advice if I should pursue medical school even I'm 31? Would it be wise for me to do this? Would I have career opportunities when I graduate and pass the board? Please let me know your insights.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm currently a radiologic technology intern from the Philippines and I intend to continue to med school this coming June however I will be 31 when I begin this June. Can anyone give some advice if I should pursue medical school even I'm 31? Would it be wise for me to do this? Would I have career opportunities when I graduate and pass the board? Please let me know your insights.:confused:
I had a co-resident who started medical school in the Philippines when he was 39 years old. If you are in good health and planning to work until you are in your 70's, 31 is a young age especially if you dont have any loans to pay.

I will be starting med school in 2009 (hopefully) and I will be 28. It's only a few years difference. 30 is the new 20! Oh, and I'm Filipina and want to have a family eventually when I'm done with medschool (35ish). I think it's totally doable since medicine is an ageless profession.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
if that's what you want to do, what's stopping you? i went to med school in the philippines too and some of my classmates were already 35ish. and has passed the USMLE and is joining the match.

it's possible. just have to work hard for it.

thanks for the replies, it is very encouraging, i hope to hear more from othere peaople especially in thier 30s

i also have a co-intern who entered medical school at 36 (now, she's 41). rules state that the oldest age limit is 35 but some schools bend that rule. coincidentally, she also worked as a radiotologic technician before.

What rule is Bleudsky referring to? There are no rules about age that I am aware of. Individual schools may have age limits (ex. St Louis...35)....but so what. Other schools have even more bizarre rules (strange uniform requirements, no coffee allowed to be brought into campus, pray at the beginning and end of every lecture...etc), but I am not aware of any national rules regarding age limits. Can Bleudsky clear up his meaning or provide a reference.

as i have stated before, some schools state that the eldest age limit is 35 yrs. i can't remember if CHED has that particular ruling too, but i think that will be upon the discretion of the admissions committee & if they think the applicant/student is determined to pursue medical education despite his/her age.

btw, i'm a female.

i currently see an intern around here who is in his 40s.

medicine is an ageless profession yep.
You are never too old to learn the art of healing.
As long as you still have your 5 senses and can think/analyze, theres nothing stopping you.

kittykringles,

where did u see those interns in their 40s?

guys,

i'm just worried that i wont get accepted for a residency program by then, i might be around 36 or 37 at that time. U know how age plays an important role in hiring here in the philippines. they prefer younger ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
guys,

i'm just worried that i wont get accepted for a residency program by then, i might be around 36 or 37 at that time. U know how age plays an important role in hiring here in the philippines. they prefer younger ones.
It depends on what residency program (some are competitive regardless of conditions). Nowadays, some residency programs are begging for residents as many graduates prefer to moonlight or prepare to leave the country. You'll definitely get into some residency. If you're aiming for neurosurgery, then it's hard to get in everywhere regardless of age.

what residency programs are those? any idea?

what residency programs are those? any idea?
If you are talking about residency in the Philippines, you can easily get a residency in Family Practice, Pediatrics or even Internal Medicine.

ust has a radiology resident in her uhh.. mid 50's? right now. :)
nobody is too old to learn. :)
goodluck.

ust has a radiology resident in her uhh.. mid 50's? right now. :)
nobody is too old to learn. :)
goodluck.

wow! now, that's determination! i hope i wouldnt lose the passion for medicine, too. :)

what about emergency medicine, opthalmology or dermatology?

what about emergency medicine, opthalmology or dermatology?
Those are more competitive residencies but not impossible if you are not choosy with the hospital program.

choosy in wat sense?

in my experience although age is a factor, it's by no means a major factor. work well during med school, then during your clinical years (clerkship and internship) focus on the department where you intend to go into residency. let the residents and consultants know that you are interested in their specialty, if possible let the T.O (training officer) of the program you are interested in know how much you want to get in, you can even arrange to meet with him/her. this will definitely send the message that you are serious.

don't worry too much about age, it is doable. work hard, let your interests be known, make friends and 8 years from now you'll be smiling about today.

all the best.

yes. i think it's important that the program you're going into (especially if it's with your hospital) knows you want in.

connections up your chances... i think. :thumbup:

that's good information. however, the three areas i am interested in (emergency med, optha and derma) are not available in one hospital especially where i will be doing my clerkship and internship (only emergency med). I might 3 diferrent hospital if thats the case.

that's good information. however, the three areas i am interested in (emergency med, optha and derma) are not available in one hospital especially where i will be doing my clerkship and internship (only emergency med). I might 3 diferrent hospital if thats the case.

i'm sure even though the specialty training programs aren't all present in your hospital, the specialty departments are. this means that even though there are no ophtha or derma programs, you will still get to rotate through ophtha and derma departments. during your rotations through these departments you can make an impression and you can ask the consultants for help getting into programs they are linked with.

i don't think you should place the cart before the horse, enjoy med school, make the best of your clinical years, pray and God willing you'll get into the residency you want.

hang in there buddy.

all the best.:D