Fill or Don't Fill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravyRPH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Premarin Vaginal Cream 1 tube
Apply intranasally prn

Fill or Don't Fill?

Members don't see this ad.

GravyRPH said:
Premarin Vaginal Cream 1 tube
Apply intranasally prn

Fill or Don't Fill?

Premarin Vaginal for intranasal use? Don't think so... :rolleyes:

(Unless there's an alternate use of Premarin Vaginal of which I'm not aware, i.e. using Preparation H on facial wrinkles, etc.) :laugh:

Call for clarification, indication, and a new Rx if necessary.

*edit*
There is a nasal spray available in foreign markets by the trade name of Aerodiol. I don't see intranasal use of estrogen cream referred to at all in the literature. The prn thing strikes me as wacky. I don't know what a standard intranasal dose would be for cream if there is one established, but it ought to be daily. Maybe the prescriber would be willing send you his/her sources to read over. You can click "related links" from these articles to read more. There isn't a ton of material out there.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12469707
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12544682

Members don't see this ad :)
tell the patient you will have to call the dr for clarification....

talk about the doctor until you can get ahold of him and then continue to talk about him afterwards...
go home and tell the story to anyone who will sigh and shake their head with you.

Good responses all. Premarin vag cream is sometime used intranasally due to it's vasoconstrictive properties for chronic nose bleeds or nasal sores. Beleive it...or not. The MOA I'm a little shady on, but you could very well see a prescription come across your bench of Premarin vag cream intranasally. (Of course, it never hurts to call for clarification if you are unsure.)

GravyRPH said:
Premarin vag cream is sometime used intranasally due to it's vasoconstrictive properties for chronic nose bleeds or nasal sores. Beleive it...or not.
Is it used for this purpose in males as well? The nasal mucosa are documented are a site of systemic estrogen absorbtion.

I did not turn up this off label use in the literature. Have you?

Nope, haven't seen it in the literature. But it is rarely being used this way. And hopefully in females and not frequently.

I did a pubmed search for premarin + intransal administration and some other things and never could find any literature about this at all. Then again i was asleep for most of our drug information classes.....

still i would like to see anything anyone else can find about this!