Fin Aid for this fall!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jccripe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I am assuming that I will just get a letter soon telling me that my loans are a-ok. Is this how it works assuming you have a good credit score, which I do. When does FinAid get back to people and when do you actually get this money? Thanks guys, I am just worried because I like getting everything in order way before it needs to be done, and that is not happening. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear loans are dispersed sometime between the start of school and 2 weeks.

Hey, so I am assuming that I will just get a letter soon telling me that my loans are a-ok. Is this how it works assuming you have a good credit score, which I do. When does FinAid get back to people and when do you actually get this money? Thanks guys, I am just worried because I like getting everything in order way before it needs to be done, and that is not happening. Thanks.

If you filled out your FASFA and sent it to the right code number (the medical school might not be the same as the undergraduate/graduate school of the same name) then you should receive an award letter sometime after your acceptance. If you haven't gotten it by now, you might want to call.

Credit scores mean absolutely nothing for federal stafford loans. It's all based on some criteria (non-felon, US citizen, etc) and your financial need.

If you need to borrow past the federal stafford loan limits, then your credit score (or the need for a co-signer) becomes necessary with Plus loans and private loans. Note: none of these loans, generally though some private loans let you do this, allow you to borrow past the budget your school has for you.

You'll get your money generally the first week of school once the school as taken their cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yet another time that a moderator has "screwed" an OP seeking information by placing their post in a low traffic area. Thanks njbmd for the answers that none of us will get now since nobody is going to read the question.

Interesting how the the post was submitted on 7/8 and there are were 2 immediate responses. Here it is, 2 weeks later, and there have been no other responses.

I just wish the moderators would leave our posting where we put them. Sheeesshh. We know which forums people are looking in and which ones they aren't. If I want to go fishing I go to a lake, not to a fish bowl. :thumbdown:

Yet another time that a moderator has "screwed" an OP seeking information by placing their post in a low traffic area. Thanks njbmd for the answers that none of us will get now since nobody is going to read the question.

Interesting how the the post was submitted on 7/8 and there are were 2 immediate responses. Here it is, 2 weeks later, and there have been no other responses.

I just wish the moderators would leave our posting where we put them. Sheeesshh. We know which forums people are looking in and which ones they aren't. If I want to go fishing I go to a lake, not to a fish bowl. :thumbdown:

I just wish they'd move the financial aid forum somewhere else so more people will look at it, but it's not going to happen.

Anyway to the op -- have you gotten an award letter from your school? At that point, you need to accept or decline the loans and designate a lender. Then if you have any private or GradPlus loans, you need to pick a lender for those and apply by yourself with that lender. Usually the lenders have an option that lets you apply online, which you can find just by searching their website.

I think Lifetime answered the question quite well and that is more likely the reason no one else responded, there wasn't really anything to add. The financial forum is quite invisible though, the first time I tried to find it without a direct link I must have scrolled up and down 5 times.