Final school list, 37T/3.9 gpa, ayudame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Signifier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to submit my AMCAS in early June, so this is it as far as updating school lists. I'll make this quick because I posted about this in February and I really just want some new eyes to take a look and give me suggestions.

Stats: 37T, sGPA 3.9, cGPA 3.86. BS in biochemistry, BA in physics. 2 years undergrad research + 1 summer REU that resulted in presentations and publications. Endless hours of volunteering, lots of clinical experience in rural health clinics, some hospital shadowing, working as interpreter in migrant worker camps, leadership, tutoring, etc. Currently working as bilingual science teacher with Teach for America. I will be applying as a Connecticut resident.

School list on AMCAS, presently 20 schools:

Baylor College of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Emory University School of Medicine
Keck Sch. of Med.University of Southern California
Mayo Medical School
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York Medical College
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Oregon Health and Science University
Stanford University School of Medicine
SUNY at Buffalo Medical School
Tulane University School of Medicine
University of Chicago - Pritzker
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Washington University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine

($787 worth of schools :))

Major faults: this list is top heavy. I mainly go by prestige/recognition and location in choosing schools so I don't know much about mid-tier or more "safety" type schools.

Schools I'm considering adding: Creighton, Temple, Rosalind Franklin, University of Maryland, Medical College of Wisconsin, Jefferson Medical College. I don't really know anything about any of these schools except where my numerical stats place me relative to them.

I appreciate any and all last moment suggestions, criticisms or help. I will be certain to help future applicants with their school lists as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, I would say you have no problem at all even with a top-heavy list. You probably have a near 100% of acceptance just at your state-school alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks intothedark. Let me be more specific with my questions:

Of these schools- Creighton, Temple, Rosalind Franklin, University of Maryland, Medical College of Wisconsin, Jefferson Medical College- I only know their numerical comparisons in average GPA/MCAT. Is there anything else particularly standout about any of the schools? Things to worry about that I don't know about?

If it helps- I would like a medical school where nature is accessible (forests, rivers, etc.), where the temperature is not abysmal, where there are decent research opportunities. West coast is preferable, but I think I've used up all of my west coast schools. (Unless someone knows of California schools other than USC/Stanford that accept out-of-state applicants?)

Again, thank you for helping me.

Wow. Your list is pretty good. Even if you do not get into these top tier schools, you have an excellent chance at oregon.....

Good list. You should have a few acceptances at least to choose from.

Do you have some connection to the state of Washington? Look into their regional bias policy.

Swiss- thank you. It's interesting you mention Oregon. That's actually my number one school, as I grew up and went to undergrad in Oregon and will never be able to shake my love of the state.

Robinson Crusoe- I grew up a few hundred miles from the Washington border, so I spent a lot of summer vacations visiting Washington and its beautiful wildernesses. I have a close friend that lives in Seattle. And a general love of the Pacific Northwest... but I don't have any family living in Washington. Does this give me a connection? Sorry, I am not finding at UW's website right away about their regional selection (http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MD-Program/Admissions/Pages/expectations-standards.aspx)

Robinson Crusoe- I grew up a few hundred miles from the Washington border, so I spent a lot of summer vacations visiting Washington and its beautiful wildernesses. I have a close friend that lives in Seattle. And a general love of the Pacific Northwest... but I don't have any family living in Washington. Does this give me a connection? Sorry, I am not finding at UW's website right away about their regional selection (http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MD-Program/Admissions/Pages/expectations-standards.aspx)
He's talking about this
Typically more than 95 percent of UW School of Medicine acceptances are applicants from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana or Idaho (WWAMI). Applicants from outside this region (OOR) who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered.
http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...ages/ApplicationProcedureandRequirements.aspx

You're stats are horribly impressive. Go for the gold - add Harvard.

I think with that list you will definitely have three or four top schools to choose from. You probably deserve more, but med school admissions are...well we all know how they go.

With your incredibly impressive stats (super jealous), I think you're fine with the list you've got. That being said, how do you feel about your interviewing skills? At such prestigious schools, you are fighting for a spot with equally impressive if not more so, applicants and a bad interview or mediocre interview could break it for you.

sector- thanks for the link. I can definitely show a committment to and experience with serving underserved populations (both rural and urban). Perhaps UW would not be unreasonable? I suppose I should add it purely due to my love of the Pacific Northwest and there being any chance at all of getting in.

Truzzi- thanks! I never considered adding Harvard. I'm not sure if I'd like it there. I know it's the gold standard, but... I'll think about it!

Autumn- again thank you. I usually do well in interviews. Not to sound arrogant, but one of my professors once told me that all I have to do to get in somewhere is "get to the interview." Obviously false with medical school, as Truzzi implied this is a shotgun ballet, but I feel confident in my interview skills. I'm sure the coming year will teach me a thing or two, though.

The primary thing that has always made me a bit nervous about my application was that I began my undergrad at a community college before transferring to a 4-year institution, and I took some of my prerequisite classes at the community college. I'm interested to see how/if this matters during the application process.

I think that I will add University of Washington, Creighton, Temple, MCW, and Saint Louis University to my list of schools. That brings it to 25 schools and $985. Heh. Thanks again everyone.

Keep in mind with Temple that they receive over 12,000 applications every year so it'll take a while for them to see your app (although you'll almost be guaranteed an interview). And let's face it, Philadelphia just plain sucks in terms of the city and the weather. I'd drop it (Lived in PA my whole life and have been to Philly multiple times). Honestly I wouldn't worry about being too "top heavy". You're one of the rare cases where you have an extremely high chance of being accepted to multiple top schools.

Tap- OK, this is useful information and forms the core of what I don't know. For instance, of the medical schools on my list, I've lived in West Hartford, New Haven and in Portland, so I know what it will be like to live in the area of UConn, Yale and OHSU. The rest of the schools- I have no idea. I really appreciate hearing from people with more direct experience of these schools or cities.

Are there any other cities or locations that seem suspect for one reason or another? I mean, I know no place is perfect, but if I have to be trapped in a city, I'd at least like it to be ok.

Thanks all.

Also, didn't see Jefferson there the first time. That's in Philly too (idk why there's so many med schools there). If you really want to go there...then go for it.

But for the ridiculously high tuition (70K+ including living expenses) I wouldn't pick Temple or Jefferson especially with the not so great location. With your stats I think you'll be okay being more "picky".

Also it would be worth it to add Harvard. You will most likely get an interview, and even if you don't go there, how cool would it be to tell people you had an interview there. Heck physicians even frame their rejection letters from Harvard and hang them on their office wall! :laugh:

U of Chicago - top notch school in a shadier neighborhood. Chicago weather is also schizo. We practically just had all 4 seasons in one week (minus snow). I'm not lying. It was sunny and 80 degrees one day, 60 and raining, 50's and blah and then it went to 40 out of nowhere. But as far as nature goes like rivers and forests and stuff, Chicago is a super urban city. As far as I know, you're going to have to travel at least 40min or more for like hiking and canoeing kind of things. The Lake is fun and lots of people run and bike along the shoreline, but it's still an urban environment.