Final school recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already made a "recommend schools for me plz" thread and got great responses from many of you. It was extremely helpful, and I looked into every school recommended.

Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive, and so have so far only applied to roughly half the number of schools I plan to. I applied mostly to reaches, IS schools, and a few schools I like. I'd like a few final thoughts on maybe ~10 more schools to apply to.

I have fairly strong ECs, but no pubs or presentations. Number by each school = my LizzyM score (71, 3.6/balanced 35) minus school's median lizzyM score (so negative numbers = reach). My stats are a little misleading because after my rough freshman year my cGPA/sGPA = 3.76/3.81.

Applied to:
Cornell (-4)
Chicago (-3)
NWU (-3)

Mayo (-2)
Vandy (-2)
Case (-2) (IS)
Michigan (-1)

Albert Einstein (0)
Rochester (0)
Ohio State (0) (IS)
Cincy (+2) (IS)

Wright State (+5) (IS)

Schools I'm considering (listed some reservations)

WashU (-6) - premed advisor suggested I give it a shot, but I'm not sure I have a chance.
Mt. Sinai (-1)
Emory (-1) - I have friends who love it, but not sure if I'd be a cultural fit. Not sure how different the med school culture is.
Dartmouth (0) - mixed feelings about New Hampshire, but I've never been to Hanover.
Duke (0) - not particularly strong research ECs = little chance?
SLU (0) - not sure about area. Also, as a non-Christian who has faced discrimination and bigotry due to religion in the past, I am a little worried about going to an affiliated school. Ridiculous concern?
Hofstra (+1)
Tufts (+2)
- VERY expensive.
Brown (+2) - I know about the bacc/MD stuff but heard great things. Also a multiple legacy for the undergrad program if that means anything.
Virginia Tech (+2)
Indiana (+3) - not sure about OOS admissions
Loyola (+3)
Temple (+3), Rush (+5), Toledo (+5) (IS)
- worried about getting screened out due to my MCAT. Temple also gets a ton of apps.

Anything obvious I've missed? In general, I've tried to avoid schools with massive OOS preference, that are in the West or, for the most part, the South, or that I don't think will accept me because they think I'll decline. Considered but removed Tulane/GW/Georgetown b/c of the # of apps, and Creighton because of the area. Not considering NEOMED even though I'm IS, or DO schools.

Side note - am very interested in PBL curricula. Not sure which schools have them.

Would love any insight possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I already made a "recommend schools for me plz" thread and got great responses from many of you. It was extremely helpful, and I looked into every school recommended.

Unfortunately, I'm very indecisive, and so have so far only applied to roughly half the number of schools I plan to. I applied mostly to reaches, IS schools, and a few schools I like. I'd like a few final thoughts on maybe ~10 more schools to apply to.

I have fairly strong ECs, but no pubs or presentations. Number by each school = my LizzyM score (71, 3.6/balanced 35) minus school's median lizzyM score (so negative numbers = reach). My stats are a little misleading because after my rough freshman year my cGPA/sGPA = 3.76/3.81.

Applied to:
Cornell (-4)
Chicago (-3)
NWU (-3)

Mayo (-2)
Vandy (-2)
Case (-2) (IS)
Michigan (-1)

Albert Einstein (0)
Rochester (0)
Ohio State (0) (IS)
Cincy (+2) (IS)

Wright State (+5) (IS)
Schools I'm considering (listed some reservations)
WashU (-6) - premed advisor suggested I give it a shot, but I'm not sure I have a chance.
Mt. Sinai (-1)
Emory (-1)
- I have friends who love it, but not sure if I'd be a cultural fit. Not sure how different the med school culture is.
Dartmouth (0) - mixed feelings about New Hampshire, but I've never been to Hanover.
Duke (0) - not particularly strong research ECs = little chance?
SLU (0) - not sure about area. Also, as a non-Christian who has faced discrimination and bigotry due to religion in the past, I am a little worried about going to an affiliated school. Ridiculous concern?
Hofstra (+1)
Tufts (+2)
- VERY expensive.
Brown (+2) - I know about the bacc/MD stuff but heard great things. Also a multiple legacy for the undergrad program if that means anything.
Virginia Tech (+2)
Indiana (+3) - not sure about OOS admissions
Loyola (+3)
Temple (+3), Rush (+5), Toledo (+5) (IS)
- worried about getting screened out due to my MCAT. Temple also gets a ton of apps.

Anything obvious I've missed? In general, I've tried to avoid schools with massive OOS preference, that are in the West or, for the most part, the South, or that I don't think will accept me because they think I'll decline. Considered but removed Tulane/GW/Georgetown b/c of the # of apps, and Creighton because of the area. Not considering NEOMED even though I'm IS, or DO schools.

Side note - am very interested in PBL curricula. Not sure which schools have them.

Would love any insight possible.
You'll get into an OH school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Goro suggests:
Wright State
Mt. Sinai (-1)
Einstein
Dartmouth (0) -

BU
SLU (0) - Ridiculous concern? Yes!!!
Hofstra (+1)
Virginia Tech (+2)
Indiana (+3) -
You're from next door, you'll be OK
Loyola (+3)
Temple (+3),

Rush (+5),
Toledo (+5) (IS)

Wayne State
MSU (maybe)
U MI (maybe)
Quinnipiac
U KY
U Louisville
U CO
U AR

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks! The "ridiculous concern" was more my relatives' than mine.

@Goro you listed a lot of schools with relatively low MCAT medians (30-31). I don't have any preconceived notions that a competitive school = better school/fit for me. However, my premed advisor told me that many of these schools may screen me out, simply assuming that someone with a 35 MCAT will get in - and accept - elsewhere. Is that a ridiculous concern?

For the state schools, while they may favor the home team, they also favor OOSers with high stats. You are NOT going to be pre-screened out of Toledo, that's for sure!

The more I think about it, some of the SUNYs might be considered as well. Kudos to pdoc on that one.

Just articulate well why you're interested in those schools.

Thanks! The "ridiculous concern" was more my relatives' than mine.

@Goro you listed a lot of schools with relatively low MCAT medians (30-31). I don't have any preconceived notions that a competitive school = better school/fit for me. However, my premed advisor told me that many of these schools may screen me out, simply assuming that someone with a 35 MCAT will get in - and accept - elsewhere. Is that a ridiculous concern?

Reactions: 1 user