Finalizing a list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everybody, just curious to see if anyone had any advice/suggestions directed towards my now nearly finalized school list, let me know what you think.

My stats, 33 3.75 Sci, 3.7 overall
Pretty good EC's with solid research but maybe lacking in volunteer work because of working part time consistently

15 Total Schools

6 Reach Schools (below averages):

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

5 Schools where I feel "Equal" or I meet the average closely:

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

4 Schools where I am a bit above the averages:

Medical College of GA (state school)
Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

what do you guys think? any places I should really stay away from (basically all in-state , or certain strong mission philosophies)?

Members don't see this ad.

What's up everybody, just curious to see if anyone had any advice/suggestions directed towards my now nearly finalized school list, let me know what you think.

Pretty good EC's with solid research but maybe lacking in volunteer work because of working part time consistently

15 Total Schools

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

what do you guys think? any places I should really stay away from (basically all in-state , or certain strong mission philosophies)?
you should drop UNC....honestly...if you arent a superstar or in state you wont get in.

you should drop UNC....honestly...if you arent a superstar or in state you wont get in.

...I think that's why he put it in the "reach" list. It's not any harder than the other reach schools he listed. Keep it if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea it's certainly a reach, I'm applying as early as possible just trying to land interviews at these reach schools.

UNC is one of my dream schools and I think I can make that known in an interview by showing my intense interest should I get in that situation.

15 Total Schools

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

Your list is OK, I guess, but your classifications are off for OOS public schools like Kentucky and Virginia - they belong in the upper category alongside UNC - these are very tough for OOS applicants no matter what your numbers are. And Michigan is a notorious MCAT number ***** school - as an OOS applicant, I think you are way below their numbers (I know instate Michiganders with 3.8+ / 36 kind of stats who did not even get an interview there)...and Baylor, although private, is really tough on OOS, accepting only about 10 percent (or maybe 20 percent)...

Wake Forest is kind of an odd duck, too - very hard to predict who gets an interview. Not suggesting you don't apply, but don't think of it as some sort of slam dunk...

I am not familiar with GA admissions, but if you only have one state school, I think you need to find more target schools in the lowest category. You really need some additional schools like EVMS or VCU, or Penn State, or Temple / Jefferson / Drexel, or NYMC...the problem with med schools in the DC/Philly/NYC/Boston corridor is that they get swamped with apps and it is hard enough to predict if you will even get to the interview stage much less an acceptance...look to the midwest for some good shots (Creighton and SLU, for instance)...

Start with the end in mind - how many interview invites do you want? Because looking over your list, you may only get about 5 interview invites...that may be more than enough, but in this competitive process, it is really tough to predict what is enough...

UNC screen presecondary and I'm sure they are super strict about the OOS applicants ( I forget the cutoffs). So you won't have a chance to express your love for them if they don't give you a secondary. Baylor is also a bit tough for OOS (prefer Texans).

Georgetown and BU are notorious for receiving a buttload of applications and it seems they are famous for the "crapshoot" method to interviewing and accepting. I would apply to some more school in this range. Why not try Tufts or Rochester. Also, it is hard enough to get into a Cali school being from Cali, so I'd drop Keck.

Tulane, don't think that it is necessarily more of a "safety" school. They might have lower scores, but they are really looking for something special in the applicants. They really like students that write, sing, act, etc. They also put a lot of emphasis on community service.

15 Total Schools

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

I am pretty sure the OSS cutoffs for UNC are 3.6 and 34. Someone who is from NC or a student there may want to comment to confirm this.

The previous poster said Keck is a long shot, which it may be, but I think it's worth a shot with your stats.

I also think you should Tufts or a philly school. You should take off UNC, like someone said, and replace it with Ohio state.

15 Total Schools

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

Keck takes only 28% OOS with your stats don't waste your money, UNC no way as oos, baylor no oos, Nyu takes OOS but with you Gpa you better have 35 or better mcat. Wf you never know I am not sure how they pick. Kentucky takes very few oos. I suggest you get the msar book and look at % of oos with gpa and mcats scores as a base. It will tell you what schools are PBL or thesis programs (some require Calc or bio chem) also how their program works. It is not the end all of books but it will help as a guide. You need to apply widely and broadly. you really need to adjust you list. there are no safe schools. I have a friend that didn't get into his state school because he was over qualified. you can waste you time and money writing their essays and have to reapply next year. remember all pre-meds are over achievers and comp is steep!!!! you should add schools like Drexel, Temple, NYMC, Creighton, Jefferson, Albany, Rosalinda F just a few look there are more good luck

Keck takes only 28% OOS with your stats don't waste your money,

I disagree about keck, if you're interested go for it-- i got an interview with a low gpa and i know many people who got interviews there with similar stats to the OP from all different backgrounds educationally, locationally, and in every other way shape and form.

You have 15 very high caliber/ strong MD programs on your list. Unless you have something against the schools to add that have been mentioned earlier I would definitely add them to your list.
Hope this helps and best of luck.

Baylor takes 25% OOS.

I disagree about keck, if you're interested go for it-- i got an interview with a low gpa and i know many people who got interviews there with similar stats to the OP from all different backgrounds educationally, locationally, and in every other way shape and form.

People forget that an OOS number is also a reflection of how many OOS apply to begin with and how many choose to matriculate once accepted. Given that Keck is private, I suggest the OP just apply.

Baylor takes 25% OOS.

Are the stats for the OOS folks higher than the instate? How do they compare with the OP's stats?

The biggest problem with the OP's list is not the inclusion of reach schools like Baylor and Keck, but his confusion about the level of difficulty getting accepted at OOS publics like UVa, Kentucky, Michigan, and UNC...thus his list is severely lacking in lower tier schools...

I was accepted to Baylor as an OOS. My stats are not much higher than the average for BCM regardless of residency. I do not know what the stats are for in state students tho. Additionally, I had a LOR from a faculty at Baylor, which probably helped. This is my personal experience with them.

15 Total Schools

Baylor
Emory
U Chicago
U Michigan
UNC (low for OOS)
Vanderbilt

Boston U
Georgetown
NYU
USC Keck
Virginia

Tulane
Kentucky
Wake Forest

I think you could add a lot more private low-mid schools. Some of those schools take only single digit OOS applicants, so you are lacking on easier schools.

thanks for all the replies, I knew my list needed work.

Temple and Tufts were on the list at one time and have been re-added, also NYMC is looking interesting and will probably go on as well.

I have a question about the application process,

So as with everyone I want to get into a good med school and one that also fits me best, but I also want to be as economic as possible. When sent a secondary by a school they often request/require you return it in a given time period (2 weeks, month whatever), but you are not "complete" at a school until the secondary fee is paid and LOR are in etc. My question: is it possible to delay paying secondary fees at schools you are less interested in to allow for schools you are more interested in to process you early in hopes you do well there and can withdraw before losing money on other schools? Or do you have to pay the secondary fee in order to submit it, thus having to pay it on some sort of timeline?

Thanks for the help so far