Finalizing School list help. WAMC: 3.8, 516, ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biblicalwhales

Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering thoughts on my school list and if I could have help with choosing 5 more schools or so to consider adding. I am also applying to 5 DO.
Background: became pre med in 2021 junior year after switching out of a PharmD program 1 semester in. The pharmacy program was a 2+4 program so I started my junior year in the fall then switched out after this semester and graduated in the normal 4 year period.

Thank you for all you do for people like me, it's a tremendous help!
Overall GPA: 3.80
AO: 3.88
Science GPA: 3.82
Grad GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 516 (130/125/131/130)

State of Residence: MO
Undergrad: public university
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
ORM. White. Male
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience:

Interventional Radiology. 12 hours.MD
Cardiology. 27 hours. MD
Neurotology 16 hours MD
Rhinology and Facial Plastics 8 hours MD
Otology 9 hours MD
Family Medicine -8 hours - DO

Volunteering Experience:

Non Clinical volunteering: 180 at local food pantry.
Clinical Volunteering: none
Teach and tut: 320 tutoring hours through my university for local high schools
Paid Clinical: 380 hours as cardiology MA, 208 hours as PRN allergy clinic MA, Current- ENT scribe 800 completed.
Research: 180 hours in wet lab organic chem lab, Clinical Research coordinator for two trials: 380 hours.
Other Extracurriculars:
Clubs – 200 hours
Paid nonclinical: Cashier – 450 hours, Delivery Drive- 550 hours, Work-study job- 100 hours
Hobby- Instrument – been playing for 9 years

List I have applied to:
  1. Albany Medical College
  2. Albert Einstein
  3. Anne Burnett Marion School of Medicine at TCU
  4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  5. Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine at Quinnipiac University
  6. George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
  7. Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
  8. Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
  9. Medical College of Wisconsin
  10. New York Medical College
  11. Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  12. Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
  13. Robert Larner, M.D., College of Medicine at the University of Vermont
  14. Saint Louis University School of Medicine
  15. Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
  16. Tufts University School of Medicine
  17. Tulane University School of Medicine
  18. USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
  19. University of Colorado School of Medicine
  20. University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine
  21. University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine
  22. University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
  23. Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  24. Wake Forest University School of Medicine
  25. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker M.D. School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't need to apply to DO schools, but I guess if you like Kirksville...

The description affirms to me you can check the boxes, but I don't see a compelling reason to interview you.

You shouldn't need to apply to DO schools, but I guess if you like Kirksville...

The description affirms to me you can check the boxes, but I don't see a compelling reason to interview you.
I’m asking if you have any schools you’d recommend I add to my list, not whether you would interview me? I’m looking to add 5 more

Members don't see this ad :)
Add:
Dartmouth
Creighton
Emory
Wayne State
Rochester

No need for DO, save the time and money.

Reactions: 2 users
With all due respect to your experience, if you don’t mind me asking, what are some examples of things that would make this applicant’s application compelling enough to interview?
From a quick glance, this applicant has a great GPA, high MCAT, diverse shadowing experience, community service for low SES individuals, tutoring, what I would consider above average(and also diverse) clinical experience, and some research experience.
I would also argue they’ve demonstrated additional work ethic through their paid employment through college and dedication outside medicine through 9 years of playing an instrument and participation in clubs.
The OP can check the boxes that you have some things that put you in a good position in the application process. But (let's pick an example) I don't have any idea of what instrument this person plays for 9 years, how the applicant learned, if the applicant collaborated or competed? In other words, the OP in this description has refrained from making me want to know why this person is "cool." It gives me the impression of "check box": I have a hobby, but it's not so much of a passion that I want to share it with you.

Again, everything is based on what is placed here on the internet and not on the actual application. This person is probably more interesting but wants to maintain privacy on the internet. If the OP wants my opinion, I'm sure they can (and others have) reached out to me in private.

When you see so many applications that have diverse shadowing, community service and clinical experience with low SES and marginalized communities, tutoring (so much tutoring among prehealth students!)... you realize how hard it is to stand out.

I’m asking if you have any schools you’d recommend I add to my list, not whether you would interview me? I’m looking to add 5 more
I don't have any reason to suggest schools aside from the ones provided to you, as my suggestions are mostly geographic-based (and you have the usual Missouri-centered schools). Are there any schools you REALLY feel you can excel at as a medical student?

I don't have any reason to suggest schools aside from the ones provided to you, as my suggestions are mostly geographic-based (and you have the usual Missouri-centered schools). Are there any schools you REALLY feel you can excel at as a medical student?

Add:
Dartmouth
Creighton
Emory
Wayne State
Rochester

No need for DO, save the time and money.
thanks for taking the time to give advice and recommendations