Finalizing School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookieSlice

Reaction score
Hey all,

I plan to apply to 25-30 schools, but I'm not sure whether my list is too top-heavy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cGPA and sGPA: 3.97 and 3.95 respectively

MCAT Breakdown: 519 (131, 128, 129, 131)

State of residence: Washington

Ethnicity: Asian American

Undergraduate institution: Ivy league (not HYP)

Clinical experience:
- 150 hours of volunteering in Urgent Care and ICU
- about 600 hours of clinical research work (consenting patients, administering exams, etc.), much more to come during my gap year

Research experience and productivity:
- One summer of full-time clinical research in a neurology genetics lab (both lab and patient work, had independent project that didn't produce publishable results)
- Two academic school years of meaningful transitional work (rodent work that required surgical skills and computational skills, resulted in honors thesis and two regional presentations, two authorships when the results are published mid-cycle)
- Currently in clinical research for gap year (will produce many abtracts and present, hopefully a few publications but all will either be mid-cycle or after)

Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
- Neurology: about 100 hours
- Internal Medicine: about 40 hours
- Neurosurgery: about 10 hours

Non-clinical volunteering:
- Mainly taught under-served elementary students in an after-school program (200 hours)
- Did some Alzheimer's outreach work (about 10 hours)

Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
- Leadership position on school's tutoring program, tutored the premedical requirements at my school
- Former teaching assistant for introductory computer science course
- Intramural tennis, recreational cycling and hiking
- Co-founded a non-profit organization to address community issues in education, established all the infrastructure and partnerships necessary to sustain it, currently on board of directors

Relevant honors or awards:
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude with honors
- Received a departmental award given to only two students (of 60) for excellence in academics and research
- Elected to Sigma Xi
- Received several scholarships related to financial aid (named scholarships that are awarded to select students but don't actually affect aid)

Anything else not listed you think might be important:
- I'm really into photography, so I created my own side-business that eventually led me into web design and development. I self-learned how create websites with a basic linux server and have created several websites for others.

School List:
- NYU
- Yale
- UChicago
- Penn
- Johns Hopkins
- Vanderbilt
- Columbia
- Harvard
- Northwestern
- Stanford
- Cornell
- Mount Sinai
- Boston
- UCSF
- UCLA
- Duke
- Brown
- Dartmouth
- USC
- Emory
- Pittsburg
- Kaiser Permanente
- Thomas Jefferson
- Albert Einstein
- University of Washington

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive interviews. Add Washington University (St. Louis) and Washington State.

Reactions: 1 user