Finally.. CLARIFICATION ON NEEDING TO SEND DAT SCORES TO SCHOOLS!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ne1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so after reading SO MANY THREADS regarding what's true on sending dat reports to school, I finally have gotten the answer.

1. Through DENTPIN, if AADSAS recieved your scored report from ADA (can be checked on your application on "OFFICAL DAT SCORE" section), your DAT scores will be on your application and will be visible to ALL the schools you designated.

2. I guess up until last year, dental schools checked applicants' DAT scores through ADA website. Through ADA, schools that you paid 25 dollars or the 5 schools you marked when you signed up for DAT, will be able to see your score on the ADA website. If any other schools want to see your score through ADA, they won't be able to, unless you release scores to the schools (paying 25 dollars to schools).

3. so, it is up to schools decision whether to accept DAT score on your application is sufficient (I don't see why not, since it is official; not self-reported. If it is not accepted, there is no point of this whole "DENTPIN" thing). Most of schools I am applying to said it's sufficient. There are some schools who are not sure of this whole thing.

so this is it..hopefully it helped you guys too. good luck!!:luck:

*** Here is the summary. This info is from calling AADSAS, this one smart lady explained clearly what was going on. Long story short, ADA won't release your score if you dont pay extra, whereas AADSAS is putting your score on your application to all the schools you designated. It doesn't matter whether ADA releases your scores to dental schools or not, since your app will have your DAT score anyway! Some schools might ask for extra copy to double check but very unlikely!****

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
okay, so after reading SO MANY THREADS regarding what's true on sending dat reports to school, I finally have gotten the answer.

1. Through DENTPIN, if AADSAS recieved your scored report from ADA (can be checked on your application on "OFFICAL DAT SCORE" section), your DAT scores will be on your application and will be visible to ALL the schools you designated.

2. I guess up until last year, dental schools checked applicants' DAT scores through ADA website. Through ADA, schools that you paid 25 dollars or the 5 schools you marked when you signed up for DAT, will be able to see your score on the ADA website. If any other schools want to see your score through ADA, they won't be able to, unless you release scores to the schools (paying 25 dollars to schools).

3. so, it is up to schools decision whether to accept DAT score on your application is sufficient (I don't see why not, since it is official; not self-reported). Most of schools I am applying to said it's sufficient. There are some schools who are not sure of this whole thing.

So... you called up all the schools you applied to and asked?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry but i believe this info is incorrect, though i wish you were right

i contacted aadsas and asked if having our score on aadsas through dentpin would mean we're set, or if we had to pay additional money so that schools would be able to see that score. ada has long been mantaining we have to pay the 25 dollars per school. This is what aadsas said concerning this specific question:

"The ADA has informed you correctly. You will need to pay to have your score released to all schools which you have designated through the ADA. Have a good day."

the correct procedure, from what i believe is:

1. if you have dentpin, your score will be uploaded onto aadsas
2. you have to pay for each school (besides the 5 free ones) that you designated in your application, so that ADA can give AADSAS permission to release that dentpin score to them

: When I register for the DAT, do I designate which dental schools to release my DAT scores? A: When you register for the DAT, you are encouraged to indicate the dental schools where you would like your scores to be sent. This will ensure that each of these schools can receive your DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association, in addition to your scores being reported through ADEA AADSAS. We realize that when you sign up for the DAT, you may not have decided which dental schools you will be applying to. As long as you have indicated at least one ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school in your DAT registration, your official DAT scores will be imported into your ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS includes your official DAT scores in your application that is sent to every dental school you have designated in your ADEA AADSAS application.

STRAIGHT OFFF THE FAQ U GUYS ;)

sorry but i believe this info is incorrect, though i wish you were right

i contacted aadsas and asked if having our score on aadsas through dentpin would mean we're set, or if we had to pay additional money so that schools would be able to see that score. ada has long been mantaining we have to pay the 25 dollars per school. This is what aadsas said concerning this specific question:

"The ADA has informed you correctly. You will need to pay to have your score released to all schools which you have designated through the ADA. Have a good day."

the correct procedure, from what i believe is:

1. if you have dentpin, your score will be uploaded onto aadsas
2. you have to pay for each school (besides the 5 free ones) that you designated in your application, so that ADA can give AADSAS permission to release that dentpin score to them

*** Here is the summary. This info is from calling AADSAS, this one smart lady explained clearly what was going on. Long story short, ADA won't release your score if you dont pay extra, whereas AADSAS is putting your score on your application to all the schools you designated. It doesn't matter whether ADA releases your scores to dental schools or not, since your app will have your DAT score anyway! Some schools might ask for extra copy to double check but very unlikely!****

What you are saying is partially true, but my info is correct (not to offend you! hahah).
so ADA and AADSAS are totally SEPERATE. Schools can check your score through either ADA or AADSAS. Until last year, dental schools verified applicants' DAT score through ADA (NOT AADSAS!). However, starting this year, our DAT score will be on our application. ONE SAME APPLICATION TO ALL THE SCHOOLS YOU DESIGNATE. ALL dental schools that are recieving your application will be able to see your DAT score on your app(as long as your score AADSAS received your score through DENTPIN). It is schools' decision to decide to take it as official or not. Most schools consider it official as it is directly imported to our app from ADA through our unique DENTPIN.

It is TRUE that schools that you didn't select to send your DAT score from ADA(by not paying 25 dollars or not selecting them when you were taking DAT) will not be able to see your score, but schools most likely will NOT check your score with ADA since we have our scores on our application with AADSAS. Does this make sense? So ADA wasn't lying when they said schools won't be able to see your score if you don't pay extra; Schools you didn't allow ADA to release your score by not paying extra will not be able to see you score through ADA. Does it matter? NO, because you have your official DAT score on your application through AADSAS!
Schools can check your score through either ADA or AADSAS. As I said, for MOST of schools, if your DAT is on your AADSAS, you are good to go! peanutb123 confirms my info! thanks! :)

Last edited:
thanks for the explanation, no offense taken at all, i was hoping you could prove me wrong since i dont want to spend all that money anyway

but yeah, after reading that, it finally it makes sense me

What if you submit your AADSAS application BEFORE you take the DAT?

aadsas... yeah if you submit before you take your DAT and if they have mailed it. When your scores come through they will mail an updated copy of your app to schools. atleast that's what it says on AADSAS faq.

AADSAS. to your another q.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
yes.. what should we do if submitted app already but planning to take dat late July?

Great post. Everything makes sense now. Thanks!

Schools can check your score through either ADA or AADSAS. As I said, for MOST of schools, if your DAT is on your AADSAS, you are good to go! peanutb123 confirms my info! thanks! :)

So which schools is this good for? which ones are part of this MOST?

and which schools will we still need to send our scores to?

So which schools is this good for? which ones are part of this MOST?

and which schools will we still need to send our scores to?

Call all the schools individually. That's what I did and saved me $125.

SOLUTION!!

Ok.. here it is.. I made numerous phone calls to ada and aadsas.. and here is what i got.

AADSAS will only send reports to the schools we selected through the ADA.

ADA has implemented a new registration fee: If you apply on or after july first you have to pay $285 and you are able to select as many schools as you want for no additional charges.

**If you have applied before July 1st and paid the $225 dollars and you do not want to be held for the $25 per report.. you must send a cashiers check or money order to the ADA of $60 to to complete the $285 dollar new registration BEFORE YOU TAKE THE TEST.. 225+60 = $285

The $60 can be sent to the following address:

Department of Testing Services
211 E. Chicago Avenue, Suite 600
Chicago Illinois, 60611

mary, not everyone is applying to the same schools. So it's really your responsibility to figure out which of the schools YOU are applying to are ok with the AADSAS scores.

Best of luck.

SOLUTION!!

Ok.. here it is.. I made numerous phone calls to ada and aadsas.. and here is what i got.

ADA has implemented a new registration fee: If you apply on or after july first you have to pay $285 and you are able to select as many schools as you want for no additional charges.

**If you have applied before July 1st and paid the $225 dollars and you do not want to be held for the $25 per report.. you must send a cashiers check or money order to the ADA of $60 to to complete the $285 dollar new registration BEFORE YOU TAKE THE TEST.. 225+60 = $285

Chicago Illinois, 60611

Crappp haha i wish i would've known this before I spent an extra $150:(

isnt kennedy55's post contradicting 2ne's post? im getting confused again

SOLUTION!!

Chicago Illinois, 60611

I have seen the same posts before on SDN, and I don't know about registration fees and everything related to it, but as I said. ADA is different from AADSAS. AADSAS doesn't release your DAT score because it has nothing to do with DAT. To get or send DAT scores, you need to deal with ADA. I already explained everything on the original post so I am not going to repeat myself. Once AADSAS has your score, it will be on your app. End of the story. Releasing additional copies of official score through ADA is different thing.

I posted the original post to clarify any confusion on sending DAT scores. If you still don't understand(or believe) what I am saying, there is nothing I can do....

mary, not everyone is applying to the same schools. So it's really your responsibility to figure out which of the schools YOU are applying to are ok with the AADSAS scores.

Best of luck.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I have seen the same posts before on SDN, and I don't know about registration fees and everything related to it, but as I said. ADA is different from AADSAS. AADSAS doesn't release your DAT score because it has nothing to do with DAT. To get or send DAT scores, you need to deal with ADA. I already explained everything on the original post so I am not going to repeat myself. Once AADSAS has your score, it will be on your app. End of the story. Releasing additional copies of official score through ADA is different thing.

I posted the original post to clarify any confusion on sending DAT scores. If you still don't understand(or believe) what I am saying, there is nothing I can do....

So why does AADSAS continue to tell me they will only send DAT reports to the schools we designate through the ADA??

Called the ADA an hour ago. The first woman I spoke to rudely repeated "no refunds" when I specifically asked her if money from my extra score reports could be put towards the $285 without refunds for the rest. Eventually she transferred me to a woman who was much nicer.

This woman got my SSN and told me I only requested 7 schools in the first place so I only paid $275, but I could send the $10 difference via money order with a letter giving my information and the schools I wanted to add to the list. Of course my DAT is Sat morning, meaning the money has to be there tomorrow morning. $30 later UPS told me they'd have it there at 10:30am. Tadah

Ok, so why would we need to pay the $25 per school or the extra $60 (for a total of $285) if what is written below is true?
What's the point of paying more?

It is TRUE that schools that you didn't select to send your DAT score from ADA(by not paying 25 dollars or not selecting them when you were taking DAT) will not be able to see your score, but schools most likely will NOT check your score with ADA since we have our scores on our application with AADSAS. Does this make sense? So ADA wasn't lying when they said schools won't be able to see your score if you don't pay extra; Schools you didn't allow ADA to release your score by not paying extra will not be able to see you score through ADA. Does it matter? NO, because you have your official DAT score on your application through AADSAS!

3. so, it is up to schools decision whether to accept DAT score on your application is sufficient (I don't see why not, since it is official; not self-reported. If it is not accepted, there is no point of this whole "DENTPIN" thing). Most of schools I am applying to said it's sufficient. There are some schools who are not sure of this whole thing.

wow, I paid $25 to send the reports to 10 schools before July 1st. I did not take the DAT yet and I called ADA if I could get a refund, they said I can mail them $60 to make up for the $285 and choose however many additional schools i want to include but I will not get a refund for the one I already paid. This sucks. I wish I waited to schedule my test. I just lost $250 for nothing. Not fair at all. What a rip off.

How would I input into AADSAS that I am planning on retaking the DAT in August?

So why does AADSAS continue to tell me they will only send DAT reports to the schools we designate through the ADA??

As I said, AADSAS doesn't have anything to do with DAT! All they do is receiving DAT score from ADA and putting it on your app. AADSAS DONT SEND OR RELEASE SCORES! THATS ADA'S JOB. So maybe you misunderstood. Why dont you call them ask them to double check that they are sending ONE SAME APP to all school?

Ok, so why would we need to pay the $25 per school or the extra $60 (for a total of $285) if what is written below is true?

My post and Kenny's post about paying extra money for registering DAT are two seperate things. You can let ADA send scores to schools by paying them extra or ADA can make new rules and fees about sending scores... WHO CARES! read my post again

the Boston University lady said this:

" In regards to the DAT scores, we will receive your official scores through your AADSAS application. "

So I guess we dont need to send scores to BU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ne1

I think this discussion hinge on the question:

Will our DAT score be printed on our AADSAS application?

If yes, then the individual schools can decide whether to accept that as official.
If no, then we do need to send our DAT scores through ADA (for tests taken before July 1st).

Anyone can confirm?

I think this discussion hinge on the question:

Will our DAT score be printed on our AADSAS application?

If yes, then the individual schools can decide whether to accept that as official.
If no, then we do need to send our DAT scores through ADA (for tests taken before July 1st).

Anyone can confirm?
That is basically what the guy from ADA said, AADSAS will have our DAT score printed on our application but in order for schools to see our score from ADA we have to mark the school and pay additional $25 but after July 1st it is $285 and you can send the score to whichever school.

Then he said I can send them $60 ( for the difference ) and I can mark additional schools for free. Did anyone registered before July 1st get a refund btw? No luck on my side What do you say to them?

I was told by AADSAS that the above statement is only true for students who have taken the DAT between Jan 2007 and Feb 2010. Students who take the DAT after Feb 2010 will not have official DAT scores on their AADSAS application.

I was told by AADSAS that the above statement is only true for students who have taken the DAT between Jan 2007 and Feb 2010. Students who take the DAT after Feb 2010 will not have official DAT scores on their AADSAS application.

That's true. However, I was told by AADSAS that it means they won't be able to import DAT scores. So if they do get your scores, they will put your scores in your application.

I took DAT on Mar. 1, and AADSAS imported my scores. So they told me I am all set.

My impression is you really won't get anywhere when you ask AADSAS (or maybe even ADA) the general questions. Just ask them what YOUR STATUS and what that means to YOUR APPLICATION.

I already paid ADA $225 for a DAT exam, however, I have not yet officially signed up for a test date. I would like to pay the extra $60 for the DAT exam so I can send my score report to as many schools without a fee. Does ADA need this $60 before I officially sign up for a DAT date? Or can I sign up for a DAT date/time now before they receive and process the extra $60 fee?
So do I need to receive confirmation from them first that they received my $60 money order before I can officially sign up for an exam time, or can I just sign up now and pay the extra amount later?
Thanks

Hey I am applying this cycle. Will this still work for our cycle?