Finally Doing It!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billybumbler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting back to my local state university this summer to finish a psychology major and begin a biology major. After years of contemplating and planning I'm actually doing something! Just wanted to share my excitement at starting a new phase in life.

Sent from my ADR6325 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you starting a biology major?

Why are you starting a biology major?

+1. Finish your psychology major and take the prereqs, but don't bother with a second major. It would be a waste of time that could be better spent retaking bad grades or studying for the MCAT. All majors have roughly equal acceptance rates into med school, so there's no advantage to being a biology major unless you're planning on doing something biology related before starting med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will take me three years to do the prerequisites and gpa repair anyway, so why not throw an extra major in? Plus I would like to be introduced to cell biology, genetics, biochemistry and physiology before seeing it in med school.

It will take me three years to do the prerequisites and gpa repair anyway, so why not throw an extra major in? Plus I would like to be introduced to cell biology, genetics, biochemistry and physiology before seeing it in med school.

Seems like a legit reason to me if you're willing to spend the $$ and invest the extra study hours. Still not really necessary though. A second degree won't repair your GPA, unless you don't finish the first degree and completely change your major (taking the extra classes for the bio degree as your first BS). Unless of course you finish them at the same time with a double major (maybe this is what the OP meant?)

I will be doing a biology and psychology major for my bachelor's degree

The extra major will still require a lot of classes that probably won't be as interesting and will be totally irrelevant towards med school. It might be helpful to enroll as a biology major so you can get into the classes you want, especially if you need to prove that you can do well in a tough schedule of science classes, but there's not much point in actually getting the biology degree. Retaking classes will work better for GPA repair, since they will give your AACOMAS GPA a tremendous boost. Even if you aren't planning on applying to DO schools now, you might need to later, at least as backups.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will go by each semester and see how things go. Grade replacement is definitely a priority.

A lot of people on you about 2 degrees, huh? Anyways congrats!! I started back this year so I know your excitement!! Good luck!!