Finally Done! DAT breakdown 5/5/2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbenyammi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT 22 (93.4%)
QR 23 (98.8%)
RC 24 (94.0%)
Bio 20 (88.0%)
GC 21 (87.0%)
OC 27 (98.7%)
TS 22 (95.6%)

AA 23 (98.7%)

I studied with Kaplan and did the DAT destroyer twice and I never even touched these scores while I was preparing. I was in such disbelief when I saw these scores appear on the screen. People really shouldn't get discouraged by practice tests and should go in with confidence. I only had a month to study and I think that is plenty of time. My GPA is alright, I have a 3.51. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on where I should apply and where I could realistically get in.

Members don't see this ad.

PAT 22 (93.4%)
QR 23 (98.8%)
RC 24 (94.0%)
Bio 20 (88.0%)
GC 21 (87.0%)
OC 27 (98.7%)
TS 22 (95.6%)

AA 23 (98.7%)

I studied with Kaplan and did the DAT destroyer twice and I never even touched these scores while I was preparing. I was in such disbelief when I saw these scores appear on the screen. People really shouldn't get discouraged by practice tests and should go in with confidence. I only had a month to study and I think that is plenty of time. My GPA is alright, I have a 3.51. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on where I should apply and where I could realistically get in.

Great scores!!! I am sure you will have a very good chance to get into a good school! My test is next thursday, and I am sooo nervous already...Just a quick question...how would you comment on the RC portion? Were the passages long (compare to Achiever, for example)? What was your srategy? As for me,I just can not get above 16 on that section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the kaplan mapping technique for reading comprehension and just skimmed the passages. For practice I just did a complete kaplan RC test per night and timed myself, trying to finish each of the sections in less than 20 minutes. That seemed to work pretty well. The questions on the actual DAT were more straight forward than the questions kaplan asked. I was also lucky because the passages I got were interesting to me and so it was easy to read and retain the information. I was doing poorly on RC too and going in I was nervous about that section, but on the test I just tried to relax as best as possible and use the mapping technique I practiced.

...... mapping technique for reading comprehension and just skimmed the passages. I was also lucky because the passages I got were interesting to me and so it was easy to read and retain the information.

I used Mapping for the MCAT verbal and did really well, then I tried Search & Destroy for DAT RC and struggled..... ultimately I went back to Skimming/Fast Reading & Mapping and it worked out really well for me..

I got lucky too, my passages were interesting too which REALLY help... my heart goes out to the Piano & Physics passage SDNers :(

Congratulations! I'm sure with that score you will get in somewhere for sure.

How would you rate the Kaplan course? Im still on edge if i should drop all the money on a course. Do you think the in class stuff was worth it? Or would just using the books be adequate.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

I am definitely going to try mapping technique. S&D doesn't work for me either... I am literally having nightmares about me getting 17 or less on that section.

Congrats. Awesome scores. You study hard, you get rewarded. Your scores are the proof of that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Kaplan was alright. The main benefit of kaplan is the question bank that they have online and the practice tests. I only took away a few test taking techniques from the class and it was a good way to introduce me to the test and the format of the test. I don't know if its worth the money, but it had its pluses and minuses. I would definitely recommend the destroyer though, that book is pretty awesome. It's really difficult and kicks your butt, but it prepares you for the DAT.

Hahah, that would have been awesome. So what inspired you, that he was a dentist, a movie tombstone or both? Again this was very original.

I just finished a post bach program and I am taking my DAT on June 23rd so I have about a month to study for the exam, can you share which study material you used and your study schedule for that month? Much appreciated!
Oh and awesome scores btw! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I had done the kaplan course the year before, but I still had access to the online material which I had yet to complete. So I did all the kaplan online questions and practice tests. Went through all the questions I got wrong and why I got them wrong. I bought the DAT destroyer and went through it twice, and I was really bad at ochem, so I focused on it and ended up getting my best score in that section. I tried to do at least one reading comprehension at night before I went to bed, and I gave myself less time then I would get on the test. I used the kaplan blue book to brush up on some of the concepts that I kept getting wrong. My friend had crack dat pat, so we would do one test a week together and that really helped my PAT score. It was kind of a good deal he bought CDP and I bought the destroyer and we shared materials. If you can find a buddy to study with I would recommend that too. I also used some of the free stuff I found online like the sample 2007 DAT. Remember to take breaks and that the DAT is just another test.