Finally fulfilled residency req!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Minnerbelle

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Woohoo! After a 3 hour wait at the DMV yesterday, I converted my CA license to a MA license so I am officially a MA resident now! Goodbye Cali! (though I guess if I miraculously get in to Davis as an oos, the I can still get in-state tuition... but not sure if I'm even applying there any more).

Does anyone know what date I should put into my vmcas as the beginning of my MA residency? Is it June 2008 - when I officially got an apt and hence my permanent home address here, and started work here (i.e. started paying taxes)? Or yesterday - when I said bye bye to my CA license? Or Sep 2004 when I came to college here (I came here then and never left) even though my permanent home address on school records say CA? Just to let you know I'm not a citizen so I never registered anywhere to vote, and since I'm financially independent it shouldn't matter that my parents don't live in the US anymore.

I don't think it really matters either way since I"ll be legitimately a MA resident under all of the above, but I wanted to be as accurate as I can. Sad thing is, in the space that asks how long I've lived in this state, I have down 10 yrs and 8 months and growing! That's way longer than I've lived anywhere else. Funny that I didn't satisfy all the reqs for MA residency until yesterday 😛.

Also... is it feasible to commute to Tufts from the cambridge/boston area? Where exactly do Tufts students usually live anyway... and in general how much is the rent?

Thanks!