SouthernRT

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just learned that a new RT handbook is coming out. One of the attendings at my institution wrote a chapter in it. It's supposed to fit in a white coat pocket. At the rate this field is changing, it will be nice to have an up to date reference. And there is supposed to be a PDA version coming soon. Hello unpimpable furtive glances into a PDA during chart rounds!! I think the residents at Wash U will all be rushing to get this, don't you?

http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763731434/

IncognitoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ITS $80.00 !!! :scared:

How much are the other Rad Onc books and is this one that much better??!?!

qwert

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
892 pages you are kidding?

I just learned that a new RT handbook is coming out. One of the attendings at my institution wrote a chapter in it. It's supposed to fit in a white coat pocket. At the rate this field is changing, it will be nice to have an up to date reference. And there is supposed to be a PDA version coming soon. Hello unpimpable furtive glances into a PDA during chart rounds!! I think the residents at Wash U will all be rushing to get this, don't you?

http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/9780763731434/

Adawaal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
Tampa
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
the hansen (?) one I think is quite good for a pocket book.
Yeah, I like the Hansen/Roach book. Very handy, although the binding is of low quality and it tends to fall apart with even moderately heavy use. VERY few errors in it, compared to most "reference" books. The nicest thing is that it gives a very basic breakdown of a number of key studies for each primary site, including those pesky percentages (OS, PFS, etc.) that are tough to memorize.

Haven't seen the new one, but if it's from Haffty, at least you know the breast section will be good. Sounds a bit bulky for a "pocket reference." Hopefully the publishers, in planning for PDA versions, got the Apple SDK so they can make an iPhone version (honestly, who uses an old-timey PDA these days?).... :laugh:

OP
S

SouthernRT

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
...I'll reserve my judgement until I see it. Even the roach/hansen book is getting out of date by now. I'm actually happy the haffty/wilson will be longer - more bang for the buck, if you ask me. I did not buy the roach/hansen book but notice that lots of residents have it. I think if it comes down to the old roach/hansen vs. the new haffty/wilson, you have to go with the newer book, especially at the rate new papers / info comes out every year. The PDA version will be very nice, I agree. Maybe I'll actually start using my very nice PDA that is just an expensive paperweight! :laugh: I think the haffty/wilson book will be a nice size for bedside reading... and it won't asphyxiate you if you fall asleep under it like the perez.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2001
Boston
travel.to
Status
bigger is not necessarily better. Not a comment on the haffty book which I havent seen. But pocket books are concise for a reason. The pocket books cant be updated every year and they're not definitive- in fact texts arent either. So its not "out of date". Roach/Hanser isnt "old" at all. It will come down not to which is newest but rather which better or more useful to students. Coia- now that's out of date.

NHD

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status
Got some info from Lynn Wilson. The book will be longer than the Roach book but 5x8 and will fit pocket and PDA format.
>35 chapters.
Sample of a few topics/authors:

Haffty/early breast-UMDNJ
Wilson/Skin& cutaneous lymph-yale
Busse/larynx-MGH
Yock/peds-MGH
Yahalom/HD&NHL-MSK
Lee/NP-MSK
Zelefsky/brachy-MSK
Hahn/combined modality-Penn
Metz/esoph-Penn
Pollack/GU-FCCC
Konski/Endometrial/GYN-FCCC
Rosenstein/rad bio-NYU
Rosenstein/mol bio-NYU
Ibbott/physics-MDCC
Buchholz/advanced breast-MDACC
Eifel/Cervix-MDACC
Willett/panc-Duke
Tepper/rectum-Duke
Mendenhall/salivary&neck-FL
Harrison/oropharynx-Beth Israel
Timmerman/SRS-UTSW
Turissi/lung-Wayne State
Tsang/thyroid/mediastinum-PMH
O'Sullivan/sarcoma-PMH
King/testicular-Stanford
Tsien/CNS-Michigan
Hsu/CNS-Cleve Clinic
Macklis/unsealed sources-Cleve Clinic
Hagan/GU prostate-MCV

Radonc Or Bust

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2008
Status
Excited about the new book too, but it seems that most of it is coming from a few institutions...Do the main authors decide who gets to author each section? Would Haffty basically ask those he thought were the thought leaders?

NHD

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2008
Status
I understand there are about 25 institutions included. Haffty and Wilson selected all of the topics and authors. There are 37 chapters and this list is incomplete as there are 8 chapters missing from the list. About 750 pages and it will be 8x5 inch in size.