Finals week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Subscapularis90

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its finals week at my uni, anyone else going through what is clearly the most enjoyable part of the semester?

How many finals do you have/what is it?

How do you think your gonna do?

Feel free to use this thread as a log for how much you studied/what you need to study for still/ and how confident you are.

For me its 3 finals:

Anatomy 1: Not cumulative but need to do well because I bombed test 2 and 3, but aced test 1. Exam is on the heart and circulatory system - some of it is pretty confusing but I hope to be ready by Wednesday.

Medicinal Chemistry: This is going to be tricky, I don't even remember anything about beta-lactam antibiotics and their mechanisms! Definitely going to be my worst one.

Biochem 1: The easiest by far. This class is a joke, the exams are word for word homework questions and the final is just going to be word for word questions taken from the past three exams. I should be fine if I can memorize the past three tests by next Friday.

I also have four papers to write. Two due tomorrow and two due Monday, so I gotta get that out of the way.

Members don't see this ad.

I have three finals -

Organic Chem 1: This is going to be hell on paper. The average for our last exam was a 27%. Yes, a 27%. The prof has a grade replacement policy that allows you to replace your first two exam grades with your final grade, if your score is higher on the sections on the final corresponding to the exams. I have no idea what the curve is going to be like, but if I had to estimate, my grade is anywhere from a B- to a C. Doing well is crucial.

Microbiology: Lots of memorization, but it will probably be incredibly easy. The first three exams were pretty fair, so I don't expect to have problems with this one.

Intro to American Politics: Gen ed. Nuff said.

I also have a bunch of formal lab reports to do for microbio. I should probably get on that....

Its finals week at my uni, anyone else going through what is clearly the most enjoyable part of the semester?

Feel free to use this thread as a log for how much you studied/what you need to study for still/ and how confident you are.

For me its 3 finals:

Anatomy 1: Not cumulative but need to do well because I bombed test 2 and 3, but aced test 1. Exam is on the heart and circulatory system - some of it is pretty confusing but I hope to be ready by Wednesday.

Medicinal Chemistry: This is going to be tricky, I don't even remember anything about beta-lactam antibiotics and their mechanisms! Definitely going to be my worst one.

Biochem 1: The easiest by far. This class is a joke, the exams are word for word homework questions and the final is just going to be word for word questions taken from the past three exams. I should be fine if I can memorize the past three tests by next Friday.

I also have four papers to write. Two due tomorrow and two due Monday, so I gotta get that out of the way.

Biochem 1 is a joke?? thats arguably going to be my hardest final and I did really well on tests 1 & 3, not so well on 2.

I have a physiolgoy test, which will be easy.

And pharmacology, which will Suuuuuuccckkkk. I dont remember anything about dose response/the drugs/receptors/ mechanism of action. luckily though this is my last one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have three finals -

Organic Chem 1: This is going to be hell on paper. The average for our last exam was a 27%. Yes, a 27%. The prof has a grade replacement policy that allows you to replace your first two exam grades with your final grade, if your score is higher on the sections on the final corresponding to the exams. I have no idea what the curve is going to be like, but if I had to estimate, my grade is anywhere from a B- to a C. Doing well is crucial.

Microbiology: Lots of memorization, but it will probably be incredibly easy. The first three exams were pretty fair, so I don't expect to have problems with this one.

Intro to American Politics: Gen ed. Nuff said.

I also have a bunch of formal lab reports to do for microbio. I should probably get on that....

27%?? wow.:eek: I tutor for ochem and even our exams scores aren't that low. lowest was in the 50's i think

For pre-reqs...

Biology -- No problem I only need to get a 60 on the final to seal an A.

Physics II -- Shouldn't be too bad, although I don't know if the professor uses the +/- scale. If so, it could be a little dangerous if a 93%= A-.

Ochem 1 -- I didn't perform as well on the last exam as I'd like. Now I will need to get at least a 70% on the final to seal an A. (however, like physics II, I am not sure if he utilizes a +/- scale. Hopefully not.)

The three finals are spaced out nicely with one of each falling on the respective Mon, Weds, Fri of finals week.

Biochem 1 is a joke?? thats arguably going to be my hardest final and I did really well on tests 1 & 3, not so well on 2.

I have a physiolgoy test, which will be easy.

And pharmacology, which will Suuuuuuccckkkk. I dont remember anything about dose response/the drugs/receptors/ mechanism of action. luckily though this is my last one.

Yea he told us to know the past three exams because he is basically going to copy and paste questions from them. That's our final.

Time to start that paper on Burkitt's Lymphoma…..all nighter right here woohoo!

Last edited:

Last edited:
English (Professional Report Writing): 50 page paper on a Comparative Study of Wedding Venues, including 2 pages of graphs, title page, and bibliography, so it's really only 46 pages of research data.

Stats (Intro): Easy 2 hour final. I haven't done the last 5 chapters, so I have a bit of studying to do. I have a 94 in the class though, so I'm not worried.

Chem 3 (General): Scary 3 hour final. The average grade in the class is now a 43%. I have a B+ in the class, but am expecting to go down a letter grade. Worth 30% of my grade. I haven't retained anything in this class.

Biochem.... just biochem

English (Professional Report Writing): 50 page paper on a Comparative Study of Wedding Venues, including 2 pages of graphs, title page, and bibliography, so it's really only 46 pages of research data.

Stats (Intro): Easy 2 hour final. I haven't done the last 5 chapters, so I have a bit of studying to do. I have a 94 in the class though, so I'm not worried.

Chem 3 (General): Scary 3 hour final. The average grade in the class is now a 43%. I have a B+ in the class, but am expecting to go down a letter grade. Worth 30% of my grade. I haven't retained anything in this class.

..50...page... final... Jessuss...

had a final today.

next week: 2 finals on monday, 1 friday

should be a fun weekend.

One paper down, three more to go woohoo!

Will probably start my anatomy review and med chem review today.

50 page final? That so harsh it should be illegal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 papers and a final exam. The papers will be easy, but the pathology final will be killer. Good thing my exam and quiz grades will cushion it, and I'll slide by with a B.

It's hard to study even medically related classes once you have an acceptance.

27%?? wow.:eek: I tutor for ochem and even our exams scores aren't that low. lowest was in the 50's i think
Yes, 27% ladies and gents. It was brutal. My prof makes the hour exams cumulative, so it was on 11 chapters. There were like 20 reactions for which we had to draw products, a few that we needed to write out complete mechanisms, and then some synthesis (which we were never even taught :mad:). The prof is a good guy, he just sucks ass at teaching orgo. Unless we're all just dumb :shrug:

Moot Cat?
inb4 PUDDI

Finals are next week and I've never been stressed like this ever! Been averaging ~4hrs of sleep per night cranking out paper after paper and not even started studying for my 4 exams next week because of so much work.

I'm taking Advanced Cell Biology (600 level) and this class is absolutely nuts! We have take home exams but they literally take around 20 hours to do and only on 12 questions - have to research mechanisms in apoptosis, cancer, signal transduction, actin polymerization, cytoskelelal arrangements. 12 questions, 10 pages single spaced, 12 point font. Just last week we had a 15 page paper in this class.

Got to write another 10 page paper by Tuesday for Chinese Civ class (why the hell did I take this ****) and study for its exam.

Physics exam Monday - not too bad, pretty good at physics, just need to go over rotational motion and such.

Anatomy and Physiology I - had practical today and final next thursday.

Most intensive quarter I've had yet.

4 Exams

Orgo 1 - The prof came in with a huge smile just like last time. The avg of the last exam mid-30s

Comp. Anatomy - finished should be fine, I think I'm borderline A/B, but I think I got an A.

Comp. Anatomy lab - I have never in my life studied so much for a lab it was insane :boom:

I have three exams.

Biology I: I got a friggin' 89 on the last test and a 91+ is an a for the biology department... Needless to say, I'm shooting for a hundred.

Chemistry I: This is the only class that I enjoy this semester. I almost have a hundred so I'm not freaking out.

Physics I: I've already accepted the fact that I'm getting a B in this class. I'll just try harder next semester

Last edited:
My speech class we have 2 tests and a final exam spaced out between 2 days.....

so basically 3 tests in 2 days, so you can't really determine your grade in that class at all..

1. Pharmacy Practice
2. Pharmaceutics
3. Metabolic Basis of Pharmacotherapy
4. Immunology

In that order :cool:

...calculations, case studies, counseling skills, and pharmaceutics lab are complete!

As for the beta-lactam ring dude... just be glad you don't have 4 years of pharmacology/pharmacotherapy/pharmacotherapeutics/pharmacokinetics.

I definitely feel like I'm getting off easy this semester..... Only 2 finals (well there was another one for parasitology, but it was only an 8 week class). I have a chem final (evil) and then a clinical lab science final, which will be pretty straight forward. He told us exactly what will be on that final *yay* :)

Somewhat surprisingly, my hardest final isn't going to be in my "hard" class ... but rather art history. The last two weeks have consisted of "student presentations." 3/4 of the final is going to be questions about said presentations... The problem with this? Many of the students did a crappy job, had no "theme," etc. There is basically no way to study...

Somewhat surprisingly, my hardest final isn't going to be in my "hard" class ... but rather art history. The last two weeks have consisted of "student presentations." 3/4 of the final is going to be questions about said presentations... The problem with this? Many of the students did a crappy job, had no "theme," etc. There is basically no way to study...

Wow... I have a class right now where we are listening to lots of student presentations and I couldn't imagine actually having to take a test based on them. Ouch!

Good luck :luck:

Had 5 and now only 2 left.

Chem 1 lab: Perfect Score on final

Bio 1 lab: 88 on final

Bio 1: took on fri

Chem : This coming Thurs and not worried

Physics 1: Next Saturday, Right no I have a C+ or B- but the professor told me if I score a 90 or higher on the final she will give me an A in the class. For the next two weeks, I will eat, sleep, and **** physics.

LOL had that happen to me... Also some when you go ask them for a quick summary of what they said they have no idea really, they just memorized what they wrote :idea:

By far the busiest semester I have ever had. Can't wait for it to be over. Before that happens though I have:

1 Literature paper due Monday ~ easy stuff
2. Chem I exam Wednesday - should be good for that
3. Calc I exam Wednesday ~ iffy at best; looking like it's going to my first B
4. Then the actual finals for Chem I and Calc I next monday and all the studying that goes with them.

So what I am doing wasting time here....:D

By far the busiest semester I have ever had. Can't wait for it to be over. Before that happens though I have:

1 Literature paper due Monday ~ easy stuff
2. Chem I exam Wednesday - should be good for that
3. Calc I exam Wednesday ~ iffy at best; looking like it's going to my first B
4. Then the actual finals for Chem I and Calc I next monday and all the studying that goes with them.

So what I am doing wasting time here....:D

Good luck with Gen Chem final! The final for Gen Chem 2 was the hardest test I've ever taken. I do hear that those students that find gen chem awful, find Orgo much better. This is true in my case. I think I'm getting out with B+/A-

Had the last exams before my final ALL on last Thursday (Orgo 1, Calc, and Psych)

Now am preparing for finals in Orgo and Orgo lab, Neuroscience research summary (this is only 2 pages- It's 15 when you are done researching), Calculus final, and Neurobiology final. Better get off SDN!

Had 5 and now only 2 left.

Chem 1 lab: Perfect Score on final

Bio 1 lab: 88 on final

Bio 1: took on fri

Chem : This coming Thurs and not worried

Physics 1: Next Saturday, Right no I have a C+ or B- but the professor told me if I score a 90 or higher on the final she will give me an A in the class. For the next two weeks, I will eat, sleep, and **** physics.

WTF! Do people really negotiate grades like this? I have 86 in Bio and I have to get like 97 to even sniff at an A. It's not fair :mad:

WTF! Do people really negotiate grades like this? I have 86 in Bio and I have to get like 97 to even sniff at an A. It's not fair :mad:

Teacher student relationships are important.

Yeah but there are rules for a reason. god f*** this ****

Yah, they're there for someone to override them or for a teacher to sign off and exempt you. I know my bio 1 teacher liked me, talked to him during office hours, asked for advice and he knew I existed and thus I got on his good side. Then when I ended up with a 88.6 at the end of the semester he bumped me up to an A. It's 70% academic ability, 20% luck, and then 10% you being able to kiss ass.

Yah, they're there for someone to override them or for a teacher to sign off and exempt you. I know my bio 1 teacher liked me, talked to him during office hours, asked for advice and he knew I existed and thus I got on his good side. Then when I ended up with a 88.6 at the end of the semester he bumped me up to an A. It's 70% academic ability, 20% luck, and then 10% you being able to kiss ass.

Whatever, I still don't like the fact people kiss ass to get to the top rather than do it with academic abilities. Why do people even go in office hours for pre reqs? The material is so basic. And would you like it if you were weeded out of residency because other interns were kissing ass all the time? I don't think so

Last edited:
Whatever, I still don't like the fact people kiss ass to get to the top rather than do it with academic abilities. Why do people even go in office hours for pre reqs? The material is so basic. And would you like it if you were weeded out of residency because other interns were kissing ass all the time? I don't think so

I agree that it sucks, but if the same thing happened to you I'm sure you would be ecstatic. Like serenade mentioned, student-teacher relationships are very important.

The sooner you realize that grades are almost always affected by the student -teacher relationship (at least in small classes) the better. Yes, some people kiss ass, but others are just being smart by letting the prof remember their face.

Profs, TA's, etc, usually try to be as fair as possible, but trust me, there is at least a subliminal factor as far as the teacher knowing/liking you and grading. Again, just because someone makes an effort to show they care about the material and their grade doesn't mean they are kissing ass...always. I do understand what you mean though..

On a different note, I just spent three hours at a chem study session that was really pointless..I should have stayed home and studied, like I'm doing now.

Kissing professor's asses also helps when the time for getting your letters of recommendation comes around. You want them to know you more than just by your student id number and you grade.

Kissing professor's asses also helps when the time for getting your letters of recommendation comes around. You want them to know you more than just by your student id number and you grade.

Good point.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everything was based purely on merit and our farts all smelled like roses. But sadly this is not the case, and personality plays a huge role in whatever professional situation you can think of.

Humanities class---not cumalitive, and i have a 97% not to worried

Gen Chem--kind of worried, should be pretty hard except the last exam i scored wayyy above the curve avg was 45 out of 125 and i got 105, idk how so hopefully that helps when the curve comes

Pre-calc---not to worried i have a 95% so it shouldn't be to bad i just cant bomb it

English--final speech on monday, teacher grades hard but i should be alright need to start preparing that by tomorrow

For me its 3 finals:

Wow.

Life sounds rough.

Humanities class---not cumalitive, and i have a 97% not to worried

Gen Chem--kind of worried, should be pretty hard except the last exam i scored wayyy above the curve avg was 45 out of 125 and i got 105, idk how so hopefully that helps when the curve comes

Pre-calc---not to worried i have a 95% so it shouldn't be to bad i just cant bomb it

English--final speech on monday, teacher grades hard but i should be alright need to start preparing that by tomorrow

shameless self administered ego boost. icwatudidthere.

Good point.

It would be nice if we lived in a world where everything was based purely on merit and our farts all smelled like roses. But sadly this is not the case, and personality plays a huge role in whatever professional situation you can think of.

I know. I would hate if my doctors had any personality at all. Would suck if they took a minute to talk to me, and emphasize I wasn't just 1 in many a facts they had learned 1000 times years ago. Hopefully one day, everyone will write letters of reccommendation that read : "He's boring as crap, a jerk, grabbed a girl's boob in class one time, but boy does he know his SN2's!!!!"

Calculus I: Hardest class/final I have by far...have a low A now, need an 86.7% on the final to keep it, and there's a chance that might come down to luck :( In any case, I'll be studying more than anything else for this by a huge margin.

Chemistry I: The grading system for this class is really easy at my institution, probably due to the 1000+ student enrollment in a single course, and I've got over 100% average right now, averaging ~98 on tests. Need something like a 36% on the final to get an A. Haven't paid attention for the past couple weeks, still not worrying.

Intermediate Spanish II: Second hardest class/final, messed up on the second test after doing decent on the first, busted butt to keep a chance at an A and did great on the last test. Need an 88% on the final to get an A, pretty confident I can do it, will be studying for two days straight before final.

Humanities (essentially world civ.): In between-difficulty class. Final isn't cumulative so that's nice, need like a 73% on it to get an A in the class. Have a 95% now with ~93% average on tests. We get a study guide for the final (yes, I know that's generous) so I'll be poring over that for a moderate amount of time while I make my own, and not worried.

Last edited:
Genetics - probably going to be difficult but fair, great prof. Need to do fairly well to cement a good grade.

Pathophysiology - this is a crapshoot. the professor lectures like shes teaching a high school biology class, and then puts questions on the exam that I'd need to read journal articles to understand. Fan of questions like "which of these is not a function of macrophages" with the 5 or so functions she told us about listed and then "all of the above" Which ends up being wrong because apparently it takes place via the action of a cytokine instead of an interleukin. Not that she's ever even mentioned cytokines or interleukins.

Anatomy - not going to be too bad and luckily I think I need like a 70 for an A because I'm going to be burnt out by the end of the week.

Genetics - probably going to be difficult but fair, great prof. Need to do fairly well to cement a good grade.

Pathophysiology - this is a crapshoot. the professor lectures like shes teaching a high school biology class, and then puts questions on the exam that I'd need to read journal articles to understand. Fan of questions like "which of these is not a function of macrophages" with the 5 or so functions she told us about listed and then "all of the above" Which ends up being wrong because apparently it takes place via the action of a cytokine instead of an interleukin. Not that she's ever even mentioned cytokines or interleukins.

Anatomy - not going to be too bad and luckily I think I need like a 70 for an A because I'm going to be burnt out by the end of the week.

You are a piss poor pre-med if you THINK you need a 70. The rest of us know what grade we need before we know what the date is.

So who is going to get the highest grade(s) with the least amount of studying? I for one plan on posting about 200 times this week in my avoidance of studying. Success?

You are a piss poor pre-med if you THINK you need a 70. The rest of us know what grade we need before we know what the date is.

Haha... well maybe I'm just not quite as insane as most of the posters here. Hopefully my ability to not act like a neurotic crazy will serve me well as a physician since I've already been admitted to three schools, 2 of which offered full tuition/fees. :)

I know. I would hate if my doctors had any personality at all. Would suck if they took a minute to talk to me, and emphasize I wasn't just 1 in many a facts they had learned 1000 times years ago. Hopefully one day, everyone will write letters of reccommendation that read : "He's boring as crap, a jerk, grabbed a girl's boob in class one time, but boy does he know his SN2's!!!!"

Not really what I was trying to say...

Haha... well maybe I'm just not quite as insane as most of the posters here. Hopefully my ability to not act like a neurotic crazy will serve me well as a physician since I've already been admitted to three schools, 2 of which offered full tuition/fees. :)

I think people on here underestimate the power of being sane and having a personality. Medical schools like people that they will be able to tolerate for four years.

I have 4 exams and 1 biology lab practical (50 q's fill in the blank on animal phylums, subphylums, classes, sub classes and structures)
The other three are organic chem I (which won't be too bad, I aced first and the 2nd one, test will be 14-15 q's all about showing mechanisms and maybe some naming of alkenes), General bio II (a lot of stuff but not too bad either, aced the first and 2nd exam, general psychology which won't be too hard, and lastly precalculus, which again won't be too bad. I aced the first two tests in this class also).

Hoping to get straight Ace's this semester!!
good luck to everyone.:love:

ace.jpg