Jun 17, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
So, I’ll be starting my undergrad hopefully by the end of this year. I’lll be starting a my local community classes and transferring to a university. However I still owe about $600 in tuition from another community college, will I have problems continuing to register again to continue classes ? Do medical schools look down upon applicants starting their classes at a community college ? I know I’ve posted some previous threads before I apologize, I’m just new to the whole process of making it into medical school.

Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
So, I’ll be starting my undergrad hopefully by the end of this year. I’lll be starting a my local community classes and transferring to a university. However I still owe about $600 in tuition from another community college, will I have problems continuing to register again to continue classes ? Do medical schools look down upon applicants starting their classes at a community college ? I know I’ve posted some previous threads before I apologize, I’m just new to the whole process of making it into medical school.
Starting at community college is not ideal, but a lot of people do it for the same reason as you, and it won't kill you as long as you do well. Just a heads-up -- you are ultimately going to need to clear that balance at the prior school. Unless you pay it or they forgive it, they will not release your transcript, and without your transcript you will not be able to apply to med school.

It is highly unlikely, however, that another school will know about the balance (maybe they will if they are part of the same system?) and will refuse to allow you to register because of it. Either way, it is really irrelevant because you are going to have to pay it at some point, so why not now?

Last edited:

GreenDuck12

5+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status
  1. Medical Student
When you say you owe tuition, what are we talking about here: unpaid balance, in collections, wage garnishment, etc? You should be able to register at another college but you should be aware of how this can impact you down the line in terms of collections or wage garnishment and a refusal of the school to release your transcripts to any new programs, as well as a hit to your credit score.

About the Ads
Jun 17, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
It’s an unpaid balance of classes I took there. Yes I understand it’ll need to get paid before they release transcripts. Can I start at a university if my gpa is in the low 2.5?

Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
It’s an unpaid balance of classes I took there. Yes I understand it’ll need to get paid before they release transcripts. Can I start at a university if my gpa is in the low 2.5?
Why not? Anyone can attend community college, assuming they have a high school diploma, or equivalent. You aptitude will determine which classes they allow you to take. And again, if this school is part of the same system as your other school, they might see the unpaid balance and not allow you to register. Otherwise, you will certainly be good to go.

No community college will deny you to ability to take classes due to prior bad grades. Also, while 2.5 is sub par for med school, it is far from terrible. Good luck!!!

8YearsLate

Sub Canus lupus familiaris
2+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2017
Earth
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
1. Pay off the old school.
2. Take basic classes at CC, raise GPA.
3. Transfer to University for most / all classes that start with a 2 _ _ _ i.e. Organic Chem, Physics, advanced electives.
4. Continue to slay.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 17, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
1. Pay off the old school.
2. Take basic classes at CC, raise GPA.
3. Transfer to University for most / all classes that start with a 2 _ _ _ i.e. Organic Chem, Physics, advanced electives.
4. Continue to slay.
Take most of prerequisites at university?

candbgirl

Lifetime Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Take most of prerequisites at university?

Yes. Take your prerequisites at a university. Med Schools sort of expect that. Take gen ed classes at cc. Don’t shoot for a 2.5. Shoot for all As. A 2.5 GPA won’t get you into any med school. Start off on the right foot grade wise and keep pushing through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't think you'll have an issue with enrolling in a cc or University with the balance, but you won't be able to transfer your credits/get transcript until you've paid. Also beware of if it'll affect credit score or if they'll fine you or whatever.

While community college isn't ideal it's acceptable ( but avoid taking any of the med school prereqs especially the sciences if at all possible).

I don't know about getting into a university with 2.5 - not saying you can't, I just simply don't know enough about that process.

Your GPA needs to be higher to apply for med school but it sounds like you are early on, so just really try for as many of those A's as possible.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads