PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, I had a meeting with a financial advisor yesterday who presumably got my number from the University. They were explaining to me their reimbursement structure which involves getting fees from whatever financial institution that I am associated with for the account that they help me open. The person goes on tell me its not fee-based or assets under management (AUM). From what it sounds like... the financial institution would charge me a certain amount in management fees and they would get a portion of that. I have a self directed Roth IRA which low cost ETFs and a 403b invested the same way... does that mean that they would get a fraction of the basis point cost for the ETF? I wasn't really following them since I have never heard of the reimbursement structure. Sounds more like assets under management.

Thanks everyone,
PharMed2016

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Smells like front-loaded mutual funds or something -- a rip off. If you want to use an advisor, look for someone who is fee based and get some recommendations.

Reactions: 2 users

ThoracicGuy

7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Smells like front-loaded mutual funds or something -- a rip off. If you want to use an advisor, look for someone who is fee based and get some recommendations.

Or, you know, do it yourself. The basic 3 or 4 fund portfolio will do most people very well.

Jan 21, 2020
It sounds like you already have some kind of financial base to work off of. Stick to a 3 fund portfolio and you'll do well. Forget the financial advisor and just read some a few financial books. You'll get more out of that than this guy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads