financial aid and waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarguy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how the financial aid process works when you are on waitlists. I have submitted the fafsa to each school I am waitlisted at. Most of them have institutional forms that they send to admitted applicants, which must be filled out before they can calculuate your financial aid package. So, lets say I get off of a waitlist sometime after May 15th. Will the school allow me enough time before forcing me to accept or decline the acceptance so that I can send them the necessary forms to complete my finaid package and then to review it once they send it to me? Or will I have to accept/decline the acceptance without yet knowing my financial aid package?

Members don't see this ad.

If it's after May 15 then you will have to accept the offer over the phone w/o knowing the financial aid decision. If I were you I would request the financial aid forms from the school and fill them out and send them back. Then all they need is word that you've been accepted and it usually only takes a couple of days to make a financial aid offer. Try to stay ahead of the game and cover all the different scenarios that can play out while being on a waitlist.