Financial aid for non-degree students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor

of Doctors
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told that people going back to school to complete pre-requisites, and not enrolled in a formal post-bacc or certificate program, are not eligible for federal financial aid. If this is true, what have other students done to cover their post-bacc pre-medical tuition expenses while not enrolled in a formal program?

Credit score based student loans from a lending institution?

Any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

I had initially planned(applied and was accepted) to do a post-bacc program at one state university, but ended up doing a second bachelors at a better ranked state university. Second bachelors offered some very worthwhile benefits over the post-bacc program.

How I pay for it? 40+ hours of work a week. Had to find 2 jobs to have enough flexibility to make the hours mesh with 13 credit hours, but its mostly doable.

I don't know about post-bacc aide, but as a second bachelors the only federal aide you are eligible for is unsubsidized stafford loans.

I have been told that people going back to school to complete pre-requisites, and not enrolled in a formal post-bacc or certificate program, are not eligible for federal financial aid. If this is true, what have other students done to cover their post-bacc pre-medical tuition expenses while not enrolled in a formal program?

Credit score based student loans from a lending institution?

Any other options?

basically, as the othe poster said, use your income to pay for it. That's how I did it. Thank our wonderful politicians for spending your tax $ in other countries.

Enroll in a degree program. You are eligible for 5 years total federal funding so if you did your undergrad in 4 years full-time you can get an extra year. I'm not sure about if you are only part-time undergrad. /rambling.

I took prereqs enrolled as a bio major for a year which gave me the option to max out my federal loans before I had to resort to private loans.