Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Financial Aid for Optometry school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by nc2tarheels, Dec 29, 2008.

1. nc2tarheels

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Hi everyone! Thanks for all the positive feedback in the past when I've asked questions....but here's another for you masterminds :)
    For everyone that's been in my situation or been in a smiliar situation, what's the chances of having opto school paid for if you have a child and are a single parent? Thanks in advace!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SarahNC

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    What do you mean "paid for"? As in loans or as in scholarships? If you are talking scholarships, I would say the chances are slim to none just based on you having a child. For loans, you will be just fine in getting enough to take care of what you need.

4. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Yeah, you'll be fine getting enough loans. My husband has a job and I was able to take out enough to cover tuition, so don't worry about it. The only thing that would stop you from getting enough to cover what you need is if you had a lot of investments or something like that. Don't worry! :)

5. nc2tarheels

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Even being a single-parent? I know a girl that was a single parent and applied to Pharmacy school and had 75% of it paid for with scholarships/aid. Just wondering if this is a case for opto school

6. SarahNC

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    You can certainly call the schools you are interested and ask, but I know several women who are single moms and don't have any assistance. There are lots of single parents in opt school. At PCO, scholarships are based on grades and almost nobody gets scholarships their first year.

7. nc2tarheels

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Do they base the scholarships for 2nd+ year students on their first year of opto school or is it based on your undergrad?

8. SarahNC

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    based on your 1st year of opt school