Financial Aid for Optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nc2tarheels

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the positive feedback in the past when I've asked questions....but here's another for you masterminds :)
For everyone that's been in my situation or been in a smiliar situation, what's the chances of having opto school paid for if you have a child and are a single parent? Thanks in advace!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean "paid for"? As in loans or as in scholarships? If you are talking scholarships, I would say the chances are slim to none just based on you having a child. For loans, you will be just fine in getting enough to take care of what you need.

Yeah, you'll be fine getting enough loans. My husband has a job and I was able to take out enough to cover tuition, so don't worry about it. The only thing that would stop you from getting enough to cover what you need is if you had a lot of investments or something like that. Don't worry! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the chances are slim to none just based on you having a child.

Even being a single-parent? I know a girl that was a single parent and applied to Pharmacy school and had 75% of it paid for with scholarships/aid. Just wondering if this is a case for opto school

You can certainly call the schools you are interested and ask, but I know several women who are single moms and don't have any assistance. There are lots of single parents in opt school. At PCO, scholarships are based on grades and almost nobody gets scholarships their first year.

At PCO, scholarships are based on grades and almost nobody gets scholarships their first year.

Do they base the scholarships for 2nd+ year students on their first year of opto school or is it based on your undergrad?

based on your 1st year of opt school