Financial Aid for Prereq's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PossiblePreMed

AAAAH!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi again,
I am taking my prereq's at Nova this coming year, and since I am not in a formal degree program, they are giving me crap about financial aid. The school doesn't want to give me a Stafford loan since I am not going to use my prereqs to get a degree at Villanova. Anyone run into a similar situation?

Thank you 😳
 
PossiblePreMed said:
Hi again,
I am taking my prereq's at Nova this coming year, and since I am not in a formal degree program, they are giving me crap about financial aid. The school doesn't want to give me a Stafford loan since I am not going to use my prereqs to get a degree at Villanova. Anyone run into a similar situation?

Thank you 😳

PossiblePreMed,

Unfortunately, most schools do not and will not offer any type of financial aid to someone not in a degree program. I ran into that program, and after a year of somehow scrambling up with the tuition, I was screwing up my grades. I am now pursuing public health (with a lingering interest in medicine), but am not sure where I will go. You might want to consider either a postbac type program where tuition is offered, a certificate program, or even a second degree. I hope this helps.
 
Thanks for your input. I looked into it, and I actually found out that my school has a loan specifically for those who are post grad and taking prereq's. Same repayment terms as a Stafford Loan. Can defer while in school, low interest rate, the whole nine yards. So I'll probably look into that. Thanks for the respone :0)