Financial Aid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addis4ever1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future DMD/DDS!

I have a quick question..I'm a freshman and I was really confused about my loan refunds. I received less than the general population; not even half of the refunds was given to me (for my expenses, ie: living costs, ...). So I was wondering if anyone is experiencing that or has ever heard of student in that situation and what to do about it?

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably best handled by talking to your financial aid office. Without see actual numbers/data pertaining to your specific case, it is nearly impossible to guess what could have caused this to happen.

Thanks for your reply sjv.
I actually went to the financial aid office twice and was shown actual numbers and the finan aid officer told me I have less amount of loans due to school fees. But to me none of this makes sense because as dental students, don’t we all have same school fees & cost of attendance (depending on the type of school and in/out of state tuition of course)? That's why I was a bit confused. I don't know where to take this issue to other than FAFSA because this seems to happen every semester. The only thing I can really think of affecting my loans is my credit. But even so, I read FAFSA website and it states that I am eligible for loans but not an increase therefore I am limited. But it doesn't state that I'm eligible for only a certain amount.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure that your classmates did not accept other loans? Like GradPlus or whatever? My refund check for fall was several thousand dollars less than many classmates, because they accepted more loans to cover living expenses.

I asked two of my classmates and like them I applied for the GradPlus loan