Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KJAC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am confused about the FASFA application process. I will be out of town the week before the deadline to apply and do not know if I will be invited to any schools. Should I apply before I get accepted to grad school? If so do I list all the schools that I have applied to?

Members don't see this ad.

Regardless of where you get accepted, apply for FAFSA ASAP before the deadline. You can always make edits to FAFSA after the deadline and once your taxes are filed. You can also change what schools you have listed afterwards.

So just to be clear, even if I haven't heard back about acceptance from any programs I should file my FAFSA now, and list all the schools I've interviewed at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just wait until acceptances have come in and then file your FAFSA with the school you are planning on attending?

I know they say that you get more aid if you apply before the priority deadline (which is March 15th), but grad students don't get grants and the amount you need to pay for PT school is going to be covered by loans. It's not like you are going to get better loans if you apply earlier. At least I've never heard of such a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having difficulty figuring out when all the program FAFSA deadlines are and I'm afraid they're going to pass before I get accepted.

Hmm I don't know about that...I have a hard time believing that they accept students after a FAFSA deadline of some kind, and then the students they've accepted can't get any loans to pay for school. I doubt that they really expect every student who has applied to the school to submit a FAFSA before they even send out acceptances. But I guess you could call the schools and ask.

Thanks! I think waiting to hear from schools about acceptance is just making me paranoid. I'll give them a call.

Is this a school deadline of some sort? I definitely didn't make a final decision to go to PT school until last summer and filled out FAFSA applications then (and it looks like from online the deadline for this year is also late June).

Reactions: 1 users
So just to be clear, even if I haven't heard back about acceptance from any programs I should file my FAFSA now, and list all the schools I've interviewed at?

Yes, you can file your FAFSA now, and list all the possible schools that you might attend. Once you make your final decision, you can go back and make the edit for which school you will be attending. That's what I did the year I applied, and I didn't have any problem with it. I suggest getting it done now so that you don't need to worry about it anymore, but it also sounds like you can also wait a bit before doing it. Your choice.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you can file your FAFSA now, and list all the possible schools that you might attend. Once you make your final decision, you can go back and make the edit for which school you will be attending. That's what I did the year I applied, and I didn't have any problem with it. I suggest getting it done now so that you don't need to worry about it anymore, but it also sounds like you can also wait a bit before doing it. Your choice.

:thumbup: Thanks for the clarification.

Quick question about FAFSA and the military HPSP. If I received the HPSP, am I still eligible to accept the award my FAFSA as supplemental income for my family and myself?