Financial concerns-advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minichka2004

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have been accepted by a program which I really like , so I am very happy about that!

But I have one concern, which I haven't resolved yet. My program sent me a letter which indicates that they give me a position of an GTA starting from the Fall. This GTA position (34 FTE, approximately 13 hours per week) will automatically lower my tuition to the in-state resident tuition, and I will also be paid for it. Plus, each semester one course tuition will be waived. So I am happy about that.

But they want me to start in summer, because they accept me as an applicant with a BA degree, and, unlike those who have a Master's degree already, I have to take summer semester courses (one of the courses will prepare me for the GTA work). Tuition in summer will be many times higher than in the fall, I will have to pay more than 6,000$ for 3 courses:scared:.

I am not a resident of this state so far. But I will be. It will be good if I can either pay less, or find financial aid...But how? Do you think I can negotiate with them asking if I can start in the fall? I am really worried, and I don't know what to do about this now. I have to find a way out because I really want to be in the program, and I will sign the offer in any way. But I want to figure out what to do with the summer tuition...

I would appreciate your comments. Has anyone here had a similar situation? What have you done? Thanks in advance !

PS maybe I don't know something that everyone knows already and that is very obvious, and I am just ignorant about it...Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I have already 30 visitors but no response so far. Is my situation so unusual? :(
I really need an advice, at least whom I need to contact (what department, what level) and where I need to look for an advice...So any of your help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
People aren't refraining from commenting to be mean, it's just that it's hard to know what options would be available. It IS a bit of an unusual situation to be asked to start over the summer and, unfortunately, the financial resources that many of us are familiar with are often not available in the summers.

Your best bet is to talk to someone in your future school's financial aid office. There may be some summer work-study or fellowship positions open that would cover some of your tuition.

Have you already filled out a FAFSA? If so, did you know at that point that you would be attending over the summer? The FA office will need to know this information in order to provide you with any aid they have available.

I have never been in this situation before but I would call the fin aid office and the director the program and try to negotiate a deal so you don't have to pay an arm and a leg this summer. Also if you haven't filed for a FAFSA definitely do that. Ask if you can do work study.
I can't believe that no one is reacting...:(

Sounds like you'll need to take out loans. With FAFSA, the summer is the first semester that loan money is available for the upcoming school year. So, it wouldn't fall on the end of the 08-09 school year - but starts off the 09-10 school year. It's not too late to file for financial aid, if you haven't already - but do it soon. Call the financial aid office of your school and ask what the necesary paperwork is you'll need to fill out (in addition to the FAFSA) to get aid for the summer.

This doesn't sound like a huge issue to stress over...you'll just be starting off your debt a few months earlier than anticipated!

Last edited:
Guys, thank you very much for your comments.:) I really appreciate them! It is what I needed : just to know where to start.

Maybe it varies from school to school, but my school considers the summer to be the LAST semester of the previous year. For example, I'm borrowing $ for this summer, and the financial aid department had to take into consideration (and adjust) how much money I was eligible to borrow for 08-09.

I'm not sure if this affects your situation or not, but I'm curious to know if different schools handle this situation differently, or if it is managed by the feds. Good luck!

Maybe it varies from school to school, but my school considers the summer to be the LAST semester of the previous year. For example, I'm borrowing $ for this summer, and the financial aid department had to take into consideration (and adjust) how much money I was eligible to borrow for 08-09.

I'm not sure if this affects your situation or not, but I'm curious to know if different schools handle this situation differently, or if it is managed by the feds. Good luck!

My Grad school doesn't handle it this way (however my undergrad did). We fill out a form requesting financial aid for the summer and we get it. It doesn't affect the amount we get during the Fall or Spring. Of course, since we're a funded program (i.e., all students get an assistantship of some sort), we never get the full financial aid amount anyway, so maybe this has something to do with it. Either way, as for the original message, I would contact your new schools financial aid office. Btw, this seems very strange to me too. Good luck!