Financial/School Advice Needed

Started by MexicanDr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MexicanDr

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone-

I have a situation where I would like some advice/input. I am currently a first semester MSN/FNP student and also am a full time ICU RN ( working 3 12 hour shifts).

Here is where the dilemma starts:

Starting next semester, I am going to start doing my clinical rotations which will occupy 2 days a week, plus my 3 days of work that leaves me with 2 days to do some studying. I feel that I might need to drop and become a PT employee (working 2 days a week) in order for me to fully give it my all to the program and study as I should, the problem deals with this next situation:

I wanted to buy a house and in order for me to buy a house and be able to manage all payments and still be able to pay for school and such I would need to be working my full time (3 days a week), but with school and the studying this thought is becoming a bit stressful.
 
It sounds as though you have your answer: in order to focus on school, you need to have flexibility with your work commitments which precludes your from buying a house.

Honestly, it does not sound as though you are ready. While you may be able to buy a house (down payment, mortgage payment, etc) what would happen if you were to voluntarily reduce hours/have your hours reduced/have a pipe burst/heater need to be replaced? For all of these occurrences you should have an "emergency fund" with 3 to 6 months of living expenses saved up in case of an emergency. If you do not have this, buying a house (or any major purchase) is extremely risky and can lead to months/years of expensive debt on credit cards/personal loans (which would be difficult to get if you lose your job). If you do have this fund, run the numbers to check to see if you can sustain a temporary reduction in hours and income. Just my .02