Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe the FAFSA will generally give you nothing for living expenses.
That will have to be obtained through private loans if necessary.
I was under the impression that cost of living did count towards calculations for aid ...
From the UCSF financial aid site (sorry all my examples are UCSF
, it's the only school I know and want haha)Cost of Living Allowance
Student Financial Aid establishes a modest, yet adequate cost of living allowance to determine financial aid eligibility each school year. This allowance includes housing and utilities, food, transportation, personal and miscellaneous, and medical expenses.
MONTHLY COST OF LIVING ALLOWANCE 2009-2010 Off Campus Parent/Guardian
Food 500 500
Housing (plus utilities)1 1070 0
Transportation 130 130
Personal/Miscellaneous 314 314
Total 2014 944
1Allowance assumes shared housing costs. Students who live in University owned apartments and pay less than $900/month will have a lower housing allowance.
http://finaid.ucsf.edu/application-process/student-budget
Further down, it goes into the total costs ... tuition, books, cost of living ... http://finaid.ucsf.edu/application-process/student-budget#totals
It follows a similar structure to FAFSA/financial aid experience I've had in the past. They'll probably take everything into account as long as you live within the estimated range.
edit: lame, the table got all messed up from pasting

