Financial Troubles/Prereqs at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

o-bee-gee-why-en

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a first year in University that began in the Spring 2020 semester, which sets me back slightly. In order to get my medical school prerequisites completed on time, I have decided to take General Chemistry I + lab over the summer. Although ideally I would like to take the course under my University/summer term, I have found out that it would be $2,975 for the 5 units I plan to take. I am on an academic scholarship that decreases my tuition from $40,000 per year to $10,000 per year (or $5,000/semester) for the Fall/Spring terms, but not summer. This means that the 5 units over summer is nearly the same cost as an entire academic semester where I could take between 12-18 units for almost the same cost.

Due to this, I am unable to afford taking these courses at my University during summer, but really need to save time by taking a prerequisite this summer, and instead would like to take them at a CC, where I would pay a significantly smaller amount for the same professor/equivalent course. So my question is, would medical schools look poorly upon the completion of the course/lab at a CC (due to a financial burden that they may not be aware of)?

I also want to note that I already consulted the Financial Aid department at my University and have been told that there is no aid available to me for the summer term besides for loans (which I do not want to take). I also am not planning to take prereqs over the summer often (if ever again). I am only looking into this now because my previous summer opportunities have been suspended due to COVID-19.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve seen a lot of SDN recommendations to instead take a non med school prerequisite at the CC (such as English or some other required course) and then take the pre req (chem 1) during your normal semester at your university.

Pre-reqs at a CC is okay; just make sure you transfer to a university from there and take enough upper level science classes to balance out the pre-reqs. You can do a search for this on SDN ("pre-reqs at community college" or something). Remember that there is no such thing as a free lunch and plan accordingly. Just an idea--is it possible that you could take the pre-reqs online? That might be better than getting behind and losing track of everything. I feel for you--this dz has stopped everything in its tracks. Don't give up on medicine, or whatever it is that will make you happy. Good luck.