Financing Master's, picking the right program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurogeec

~
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a NJ resident and we have two schools that offer MS programs: Rowan, Rutgers. Both are pretty expensive, but are relatively in line with the costs of other programs.

I have been doing a DIY post bacc to get all of my science courses in while working part time at a hospital and doing other work like publishing a textbook chapter, and studying for the MCAT (currently getting 504 practices n shooting for >510), and continued shadowing. I will be finished the post bacc + mcat this may. However, since DO programs got rid of GPA replacement, I just took a hit in the GPA and am more seriously looking into a MS program, and with that, perhaps hopes of scoring an M.D. acceptance.

What do you think about a ~3.0 CUM / SCI Ugrad GPA getting into an MD from a MS program? I was historically not a student, no doctors in family, only cared for becoming DIII all american, ended up getting seriously injured and ruining ability to compete and win at top level. Tried getting good at school, got all A's, transferred to more competitive college. Joined their track team (Even tho my abilities were hindered I never quit), commuter student athlete, grades were generally better, but still tumultuous. Senior year, really kicked up my study habits on hardest course load yet and closed out with cum 3.6 GPA for those two semesters.

How will this be paid for? I am content doing a minimum course load (for sake of maximizing my GPA. Only want to post good grades) and working as a TA to minimize debt and have a resonable stipend to live on. Most programs tuition + living expenses for a year roughly come out to 56k. My current part-time job has me at a salary of 46k ... and I don't even work full time.

There have been OOS programs that seem to have pretty good prospects for linking into programs, BUT, they are VERY expensive! I relish at the idea of attending Hopkin's program, but the tuition alone is 44k. Not to mention rent, living expenses... I am 24, and will need to pay for my own insurance when I am 26. Getting jammed with no entry to med school, compounding debt, and poor career outlook sounds like a pretty bad time.

I want to make sure I am making the most academically and financially stable decision with the highest probability of scoring an acceptance letter to a reputable program with minimized risk.

There is a lot of information to sift through and I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

PS: I am aware many programs are cash cows. I understand that there are many programs that will take my money and couldn't care less if I fail out, never get into school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What type of master's are you looking at? DMU has a Master's in Biomedical Sciences that's very reasonable price wise and they give you money for working in the lab, so it's supposed to be self-funded. Also, if you get good grades, you get an automatic interview for their DO program. Check it out. Their application deadline isn't until June I think. Also, you'll have to take the GRE, I'm not sure if they take MCAT scores (Probably) but the GRE was pretty easy.