Finch Applied physiology program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at their site but i couldn't find out any statistics about the program. I was wondering if anyone knew what the stats of the people who got intot the program were? How many people do they take into the masters program and out of those how many get intot the med school?

http://66.99.255.20/SGPDS/physiology/msapplied.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
I was looking at their site but i couldn't find out any statistics about the program. I was wondering if anyone knew what the stats of the people who got intot the program were? How many people do they take into the masters program and out of those how many get intot the med school?

http://66.99.255.20/SGPDS/physiology/msapplied.cfm

The unwritten rule is if you maintain a 2.996 GPA in the program, you will be accepted into the medical school the next year. Generally only a handful of people don't make the cut off.

hypersting said:
The unwritten rule is if you maintain a 2.996 GPA in the program, you will be accepted into the medical school the next year. Generally only a handful of people don't make the cut off.

Wow really, what are the average stats of the people who get into masters program? Were u in this program or did u know anyone in this program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Aloha, I usually dont post on the pre med boards. Anyhow I am at Finch (Now RFUHS). Here is the deal... with the school. The Applied Physio (AP) program now has about 85 people per class. generally 50-60 make it. you need to carry a B average and the 2.96 is the right number. Over the past few years (4 or so) EVERY student who fulfilled these requirements has been accepted into the med school. Additionally, you can apply to other schools. We had one girl who was an AP who got into an MD/PhD program at U Florida.

The statement "only a handful" dont make it isnt true. I would say 75-80% DO make it. There are some that leave part of the way through because they get into DO school or get into another med school since school starts early! Generally, it is an expensive bet but well worth it if you can make it. There are generally a ton of students from Cali and in general AP students do better on Step I than the other classmates I think cause we know what it is like to get screwed out of not getting into MD school.

If you want more info please PM me cause I dont check these boards..

EctopicFetus said:
Aloha, I usually dont post on the pre med boards. Anyhow I am at Finch (Now RFUHS). Here is the deal... with the school. The Applied Physio (AP) program now has about 85 people per class. generally 50-60 make it. you need to carry a B average and the 2.96 is the right number. Over the past few years (4 or so) EVERY student who fulfilled these requirements has been accepted into the med school. Additionally, you can apply to other schools. We had one girl who was an AP who got into an MD/PhD program at U Florida.

The statement "only a handful" dont make it isnt true. I would say 75-80% DO make it. There are some that leave part of the way through because they get into DO school or get into another med school since school starts early! Generally, it is an expensive bet but well worth it if you can make it. There are generally a ton of students from Cali and in general AP students do better on Step I than the other classmates I think cause we know what it is like to get screwed out of not getting into MD school.

If you want more info please PM me cause I dont check these boards..

Do u know what the average gpa, mcat is for someone admited into the applied physio program?

Also do people who complete the physio program have to do another 4 years of med school or can the classes they took as a physio student count towards units needed in med school?

NRAI2001 said:
Do u know what the average gpa, mcat is for someone admited into the applied physio program?

Also do people who complete the physio program have to do another 4 years of med school or can the classes they took as a physio student count towards units needed in med school?

You don't have to retake the classes, but you still have to do a full four years. The program has been recently expanded to a little over 100 students/year, some of which drop out when they get off waitlists late in the summer.

NRAI2001 said:

The AP students, in general, are those that barely missed the cut for med school. Most of us got interviews, even a few waitlists, but didn't get in. So I'd say about a 26-28 MCAT. 3.3-3.6ish GPA.

The admissions office said that there were about 96 spots for about 410 applicants. Give or take a few.

The people who succesfully complete the AP program do have to do a full four years of MD education afterwords. If they come back to Finch (the vast majority of them do), they have advanced standing and are exempt from taking 6 first-year courses (Physio, Embryo, MCB, Neuroscience, Genetics, Biochem). This gives you an incredible amount of free time to: a) pursue outside interests b) do research and get some valuable experience, or c) whatever you want because an opportunity like this won't come by again!

In sum, if you don't mind spending $30k for a 1-year MS program, the AP program is a pretty sweet deal. You just have to have an excellent work ethic because you are held to higher standards than the medical students (must finish program with 3.0 or higher).

Other notes:

-Despite all the crap that Finch gets, it has among the best residency matches year after year. Students match into excellent programs. Here's the match list for 2004: http://66.99.255.20/students/class/2004/matchlist.htm

-If you have advanced standing, you will still have to pay the same amount of tuition as everyone else. (so $30k/year x 4 years MD + 1 year MS = $150k in tuition for your 5 yrs at Finch!)

EDIT:
Actually, it's more like $35k tuition and $15k living expenses. So $50k x 5 years = A LOT.

Is it bad to post the match list online? Should I remove it?

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

No if the school wanted the match list hidden it would require a password. Leave it up.

Avg Gpas etc. It isnt as competetive as people on here say, I know plenty of people who got into with 3.1s or so and 24-26 MCATS i will say that these people really struggle in the program but hard work and dedication can overcome a lot.

People who complete the program get advanced standing and do 4 more yrs of md school. your 1st yr is a joke but u do your electives and relax during that yr.

I like the people at the school esp the APs, some of the med students suck much like anywhere else but people at CS are nicer than at other places. The facilities are improving, a newly refurbished anatomy lab and a new M2 lecture hall etc.

The city.. well u live way north of "the city" i lived in the city with my gfriend but people who live in the NEW (opened last yr) dorms liked it and they are cheap. Not much to do there but people hang out and have fun together.

The weather... well it depends on where u r from we have a ton of people from Cali and i am from Fla... it is cold.. but manageable esp if you live in the dorms since you barely have to walk. Also, you see the Podiatry, PA and PT students a lot so it gives you some variablity in the people. I love the people. Most of my good friends are APs and the med students a yr ahead of me but this is natural since they were the 1st people i met.

Dear Toxicfugu and EctopicFetus--

Thanks for your insight into the AP program. I'm majoring in physiology for undergrad and will likely finish with a 3.3'ish GPA and am looking for a quick next move that will put me on the med school track--I'm 30 so I'd like to get on with it. Anyway I'm working hard to make even the undergrad work out financially, so my question is: How could I afford the program if my credit stinks and I ain't got two nickels to rub together before I start the program? (presuming acceptance--I realize) I know FAFSA will cover some but 50 G's and no income? Any suggestions? Thanks--Ben.

benelswick said:
Dear Toxicfugu and EctopicFetus--

Thanks for your insight into the AP program. I'm majoring in physiology for undergrad and will likely finish with a 3.3'ish GPA and am looking for a quick next move that will put me on the med school track--I'm 30 so I'd like to get on with it. Anyway I'm working hard to make even the undergrad work out financially, so my question is: How could I afford the program if my credit stinks and I ain't got two nickels to rub together before I start the program? (presuming acceptance--I realize) I know FAFSA will cover some but 50 G's and no income? Any suggestions? Thanks--Ben.

Hey Ben,
Is your credit so bad that you won't be approved for student loans? Having a job while doing the program, in my opinion, is pretty much out of the question. Unless you are working as a parking lot attendant and can study throughout the shift, I can't forsee working full-time as being compatible with academic success here. Perhaps you can get a close relative to take out a private loan on your behalf. You can take steps to improve your credit between now and when med school starts. I don't know exactly what those moves are. You may want to consult the financial aid office at your current university and ask for some advice. Part of my tuition is funded by the AAMC's MedLoans ALP program. You still have to have decent credit to be approved for this program though. I think contacting your F-Aid office would be the best bet.

good luck

Why don't they post stats for the program on the website?

How many people applied to the program and how many got in last year?

For all the current AP students... I'm really interested in attending the program next year. Do you have to wait 1 year after you have completed the program to be able to secure a seat at CMS? Can I apply during the year I'm doing the AP program and still be reasonably guaranteed a seat in the following year's first year class if I do well in the program?

junebuguf said:
For all the current AP students... I'm really interested in attending the program next year. Do you have to wait 1 year after you have completed the program to be able to secure a seat at CMS?

No

Can I apply during the year I'm doing the AP program and still be reasonably guaranteed a seat in the following year's first year class if I do well in the program?

Yes.

APs have their interviews in the beginning of the year and pending their GPA, they are given acceptances in late May for the upcoming Fall term.

I don't know if it was posted earlier, but about how many people apply to the AP program each year? Out of those people how many usually enter the program?

Right now I have about a 3.4 gpa, last diag I took i was scoring around 26ish. Would this be enough to get into the program? I haven't really put that much effort into studying for the mcat yet, but if this is good enough maybe I shouldn't spend 1400 dollars on a prep course. Any advice?

Also when the adcom is considering AP students for entry into CMS do they look at undergrad gpa, mcat, ecs....etc?

NRAI2001 said:
Also when the adcom is considering AP students for entry into CMS do they look at undergrad gpa, mcat, ecs....etc?

Once you are accepted to the AP program, the only criteria for advancement to CMS the following year is a 3.0 GPA or higher in the program. In order to be accepted to the AP program to begin with, your entire app is considered. GPA, MCAT, ECs, everything. Don't take it for granted that you will be accepted to the program. As with med school, there is no such thing as a sure bet. Work as hard as you can on the MCAT and apply to MD schools along with the AP program. The worst situation would be if you only applied to the AP program and did not get in.

Also, you can always call the admissions office at RFU if you have questions of this sort.

good luck.

Hi,

Nice information throughout this whole post.. I've been looking into the post-bacc program and emailed a really helpful person on their end. They gave me this info:

Cumulative GPA 3.32, average science GPA 3.14 (on a four-point scale),
MCAT of 8.5 Verbal, 9.45 Physical and 9.73 Biological , Writing sample
of "O" and GRE scores of 450 Verbal, 693 Quantitative, with Analytical
scores of 610 or Analytical Writing scores of 4.38.

That was the avrg. of last years accepted class. I am also looking into applying there. For anyone who has gone into this program, my stats are not so hot... I am a Chicago native, i have a decent gpa (about 3.12) but my MCAT is crap (upper-teens) I have loads of research, extra-curriculars, etc. What are my chances of getting into this program? Thanks!!!!