findaresident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doowai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people have sent me private emails and been very supportive in my long belabored posts - encouraging me to continue my efforts to be a medical doctor. I am sure its just because my wit would be greatly missed here.

So post-scramble efforts. Does ANYONE actually know someone first hand who got a job from finadaresident or careermd????

I got 2 private messages from people telling me they used it last year and it did not help. Does anyone know anyone who actually got a spot from it?

If not - how does a person find open spots off cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Finding a position off cycle is a combination of meticulously checking websites which post open positions, and maintaining some contacts who will call you/email you when they hear about someone leaving or a spot opening up. This can be a new intern, or a program director or faculty somewhere. Getting the word out that you're looking is key.

I don't know about findaresident, but one of the "traps" with careermd is that they don't delete positions when they've been filled. So you can easily get excited when you find a program listed, but make sure you check the date it was posted - it might be worth calling, but if the posting is years old (I've seen things on there from 2004), its most likely not valid.

doowai;

I didnt match or scramble last year. I used findAresident for a IM spot. IM unfortunately only published like one spot in the months of march-june. I know you are looking for FM and in those three months like 5-8 spots where announced. If I remember well I applied to 2 spots of the FM spots and never was contacted but my PS was very IM oriented, thats why I think they never contacted me.

Thankfully I matched this year at my second choice in IM.

Congratulations on matching.

Thanks for the info Dr.Cox.

I have received some good information in PM's and certainly plan to do things differrently next year if I can't find something this year.

Keep on trying. This past year there were probably 20 spots in FP alone that opened up - most for immediate vacancies. You will make this happen.

I'm using findaresident and I'm waiting and waiting.......:sleep:

Finding a position off cycle is a combination of meticulously checking websites which post open positions, and maintaining some contacts who will call you/email you when they hear about someone leaving or a spot opening up. This can be a new intern, or a program director or faculty somewhere. Getting the word out that you're looking is key.

I don't know about findaresident, but one of the "traps" with careermd is that they don't delete positions when they've been filled. So you can easily get excited when you find a program listed, but make sure you check the date it was posted - it might be worth calling, but if the posting is years old (I've seen things on there from 2004), its most likely not valid.

Are there any other wesites to find oped spot besides "Find A Resident" and CarrerMD" ?????

It takes time. The majority of spots open up after August.

I found an open spot by sending out lots and lots of emails to programs politely explaining my circumstances and reminding them I was interested in any unexpected vacancies. I attached a CV and my board scores and offered to send whatever else they needed. This is a low yield tactic overall, but it is also fairly easy to do. It took me about 4 hours. I really wasn't expecting much to come of it, but now I have a spot! Worth the effort to try it. Good luck in your search...

I scrambled into a very good FP program last March after an unsuccessful match for radiology. After some soul-searching, I decided clinical medicine was actually more fulfilling personally than imaging, and I decided to try for neurology, as my focus in rads was always neuroimaging, and neurology offered the best of both worlds. (Nothing at all against FP, it's a specialty much maligned by people who have no understanding of what it takes to be a good family physician. It's just not where my heart beats.) So I got on findaresident and so on, and didn't find what I was looking for in neurology (forget about radiology) and ended up matching agan - this time I got my top choice in neuro and I'm very happy all around.

Findaresident's spots seemed to mushroom around August. I'm not sure as to why, but possibly that's when new interns tend to burn out, have second thoughts etc. People can have life crises all year, of course, and open spots pop up all year. But there was a bumper crop of open spots - mostly in FP for whatever reason - a couple of months into the new cycle. One intern at my hospital grabbed an open spot for IM in August and started work immediately. So keep your head up and your eyes open.

Ari

Dwil, did you send these emails out during the scramble or post-scramble. I sent out lots of emails during scramble, and am doing so now- to programs I think might develop openings.

Next match I will be 2 years out at the time residency starts - that is aging as far as fresh meat for residencies go

There are many websites that list vacancies. For example http://www.apds.org, http://www.acog.org, and many more. In my experience, APDS is a lot better than findaresident.com for surgery. www.acog.org is good for ob/gyn positions. The downside is that the information is scattered throughout many different websites and that you need to check these sites several times a day because positions disappear quickly.

A very interesting site is www.ResidentSwap.org - it seems to monitor all these scattered websites and sends you alerts whenever new positions open. Plus, if you're in residency & looking to switch to a different specialty, it can find residents who want to swap places with you.

BUMP. If there are any more answers. Thanks