finding a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NMH2001

Ferret Momma
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how did you all go about finding a DO in your area to shadow? Did you write him/her a letter explaining your intentions, phone call, ???

Any help would be appreciated as I am having problems finding one willing to help me. seems to me like they are all just too busy!

Members don't see this ad.

I found a D.O. that graduated from my school, and then I asked if they could help me get in touch with him. You could also call some of the D.O. shcools and ask them for a list of local D.O.'s in your area.

Most of the physicians I shadowed were guest speakers at our AMSA meetings. If your school has an organization of this type, they may be helpful in helping you find a DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
NMH 2001,

I would go to the AOA website to locate a D.O. in your local area. If this doesn't help you locate one close to you let me know and I'll check to see if my school has any alumni in the region who might be willing to allow potential students to shadow.

Here is the AOA web address: <a href="http://www.aoa-net.org" target="_blank">www.aoa-net.org</a>

Once at their page you click on the 'Find a D.O.' button on the left side of the screen.

Sincerely,

Sweaty Paul MS-II
KCOM

Sweaty Paul,

I went on the AOA website that you suggested and I did find a few DO's in my area. I sent them a letter stating my intentions along with a copy of my resume so they can get an idea of my background. If you have any other suggestions please let me know!!

Oh yes-I live in Syracuse NY if you happen to know of any "shadow-friendly" DO's in the area.

Thank you for your help

Had the same problem starting out. First of all, start with all your networks, somebody you know might know a DO. If that isn't enough, your safest bet is to ask help from a hospital that you've done work in (i.e. volunteered).

What I did is call the volunteer coordinator at the hospital I volunteered in and explained my predicament. An hour later, a DO called me and invited me to shadow him. :clap:

DO's are generally very nice people (must be the upbringing :wink: ), and will be very accommodating to students who are interested in what they do. They will be as eager to spread the word about their profession as you are to learning more about it. Goodluck!

When you begin shadowing a DO, is it anything like volunteering where you go once or twice a week for several months, or do you just go once or twice, period? What would be the appropriate way of arranging a time schedule to begin shadowing a physician?

Regards
Student247

I can't speak for everyone, but I shadowed a DO for a day. He then told me that whenever I feel like shadowing him, I will always be welcome. I've gone back a second time since then.

I guess it's all up to you as to how much time you can spare, and how much time you need, to get a feel for the profession. It'll be really nice to let the DO know who you are, in case you will need a letter of recommendation from him/her.

Just don't get in the way or over-stay your welcome...they are running a business you know. And to answer your question, it is more fun than volunteering. :p