Finding a Good Optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeloc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know how to find a good physician; one can look at the quality of the medical school and residency program that they completed, there are listings of any malpractice cases online, someone up-to-date with the latest medical literature is important, etc. Are these the same qualities for good optometrists? Is it possible to look up the school someone went to and know if it is better than another? How does one go about finding an experienced optometrist?

Members don't see this ad.

I know how to find a good physician; one can look at the quality of the medical school and residency program that they completed, there are listings of any malpractice cases online, someone up-to-date with the latest medical literature is important, etc. Are these the same qualities for good optometrists? Is it possible to look up the school someone went to and know if it is better than another? How does one go about finding an experienced optometrist?

I may be in the minority here, but I don't know of too many people who do that much background work when choosing an MD. Word of mouth is a huge part of it. Where your primary care provider suggests is also a big part of it.

I can't think choosing an OD is all that different.

If you are really into it you could start with these tips, though this is no guarantee and it might not help at all.

ODs who have completed post doc residencies
ODs who practice in a private setting (not commercial)
ODs who are fellows of the American Academy of Optometry (though there are plenty good who aren't)
Call and ask if they usually dilate new patients. If they don't, Beware!