Finding a program after dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frfltotx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances of getting a position in IM or FP after a dismissal. Does anyone know of anybody who had been successful in getting a spot. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the chances of getting a position in IM or FP after a dismissal. Does anyone know of anybody who had been successful in getting a spot. Just curious.

Sure. I know two people who got dismissed and found positions at other programs. Nobody cares as long as the scores are good. Dangerous to patients, dishonest reporting......rubbish.....how are the scores?

I think if you get fired and you had bad grades and/or bad board scores (especially bad board scores) it will be hard to get a new position, especially if you are a foreign medical grad. If you get fired once and have good USMLE scores and are a US student, you can probably find something. It all depends too on how desperate a program is to get a warm body to fill that spot.

I think if you get fired and you had bad grades and/or bad board scores (especially bad board scores) it will be hard to get a new position, especially if you are a foreign medical grad. If you get fired once and have good USMLE scores and are a US student, you can probably find something. It all depends too on how desperate a program is to get a warm body to fill that spot.
so what you are saying if you get kicked out ofo a program in fp you cant find another program? that is ridiculous that is where people who get kicked out go? and they dont have any criminal backround. and have a state license the US is almost obligated to allow them to finish in fp

I agree with the above posts. Board scores, grades, LORS, AMG vs IMG all play a role in the difficulty in which one can find a new residency. In addition, it would depend on what field you were in originally,the reason as to why things did not work out, and the status of your dismissal ( asked to leave, fired, resigned, ect). It would also depend on whether your previous PD would support you getting a new position or not.
As for me, I am in a similar situation. I did manage to get and go on a sizable amount of interviews this past season. Hopefully good news in March.

Good luck

Sure. I know two people who got dismissed and found positions at other programs. Nobody cares as long as the scores are good. Dangerous to patients, dishonest reporting......rubbish.....how are the scores?

LMAO!!! Nice.

I did manage to get and go on a sizable amount of interviews this past season. Hopefully good news in March.

Good luck

I am not in this exact situation, but am thinking of switching residencies or even my specialty. Are you going thru the standard ERAS and match process to find a new position? Was your old PD supportive and required to give a LOR?

I am not in this exact situation, but am thinking of switching residencies or even my specialty. Are you going thru the standard ERAS and match process to find a new position? Was your old PD supportive and required to give a LOR?

I went through ERAS and am using NRMP to hopefully get a position. My former PD and I are on good terms still, and I believe that is what helped me a good bit. I do not know if they are required to write you a performance summary letter, maybe a PD here can chime in on this. My PD did write a letter stating that I deserve a second chance; in addition it only helped that I was a very good medical good medical student with stellar board scores.

so what you are saying if you get kicked out ofo a program in fp you cant find another program? that is ridiculous that is where people who get kicked out go? and they dont have any criminal backround. and have a state license the US is almost obligated to allow them to finish in fp

Um no one is obligated to do anything here. What do you think is going to happen, is the government going to form the Congressional Committee For Placement of Troubled FP Residents? If programs question your past or your potential they don't have to take you. End of story. You CAN end up a med school grad with nowhere to go if you play your cards right (ie very very wrong).