Finding DOs to shadow...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've browsed the Year of the Mentor website, but it looks like that site is primarily intended for osteopathic medical students looking to pair-up with a "mentor" (the form to be filled-out and submitted requires that you specify which medical school you are currently attending).

I've called up multiple private practice doctors in the Yellow Pages but haven't had much luck; most of them are either on vacation, have their office manager write-down my name and phone number and never call back, or just don't participate in shadowing experiences period. Should I just call-up the public medical center and tell them I'm interested in shadowing any DOs they have on staff? The only bummer with this is that the public medical school is "downtown," whereas I live in the "suburbs" about 30 minutes away.

School starts back on January 14th, so I'd really like to get some quality shadowing time in during the remainder of the break...

Members don't see this ad.

I've browsed the Year of the Mentor website, but it looks like that site is primarily intended for osteopathic medical students looking to pair-up with a "mentor" (the form to be filled-out and submitted requires that you specify which medical school you are currently attending).

Oodles of us premeds used that website to get hooked up. Bypass the med school part and go forth.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like I just got lucky...the first doctor I asked to shadow was a DO, I was a patient of his and he said yes. The first time I went he invited me to come back. He even invited me to watch him in the OR, (he's an ENT) provided I get the proper permission from the hospital, which I am in the process of doing.

I had a shadowing experience thanks to the Mentor website. It was a bit odd...but that's another story.

Are you sure it says medical school attending? I thought it just said school...i.e., undergrad.

Nope...it actually asks you to pick your school from a drop-down list of all D.O. schools. I went ahead and requested mentors anyways, though, and just bypassed selecting a school.

do you think it is appropriate for a graduated high school senior in a gap year to ask a D.O to shadow?

do you think it is appropriate for a graduated high school senior in a gap year to ask a D.O to shadow?

It might be a little difficult for you to get a doc to agree to let you, but I think it's definitely worth finding one and getting some early shadowing experience. :thumbup:

I've called up multiple private practice doctors in the Yellow Pages but haven't had much luck; most of them are either on vacation, have their office manager write-down my name and phone number and never call back, or just don't participate in shadowing experiences period. Should I just call-up the public medical center and tell them I'm interested in shadowing any DOs they have on staff? The only bummer with this is that the public medical school is "downtown," whereas I live in the "suburbs" about 30 minutes away.

School starts back on January 14th, so I'd really like to get some quality shadowing time in during the remainder of the break...

I found a derm DO on a website, emailed him, and he said yes. So I can personally recommend using email. I'm excited because it's the first step I've made so far in my pre-med quest!