psychmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
NYC Area
Status
Psychologist
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been mentioned in other threads, but how exactly do people go about getting post-docs or jobs pre-licensure? I know about the APPIC post-doc listserve -- does this include info about non-APPIC postdocs as well? Are there other resources I should be checking or signing up for? Others that come to mind are APA psyccareers(?) and PICC for counseling center jobs. What else am I missing? Do internship directors typically get notified of opportunities and pass them along to their interns?

Any pearls of wisdom about this are much appreciated. Since I'm geographically limited, I tend to stress about this more than some people do.

Thanks.:)

Quynh2007

the oracle of destiny
10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
Psychology Student
Hi everyone,

I know this topic has been mentioned in other threads, but how exactly do people go about getting post-docs or jobs pre-licensure? I know about the APPIC post-doc listserve -- does this include info about non-APPIC postdocs as well? Are there other resources I should be checking or signing up for? Others that come to mind are APA psyccareers(?) and PICC for counseling center jobs. What else am I missing? Do internship directors typically get notified of opportunities and pass them along to their interns?

Any pearls of wisdom about this are much appreciated. Since I'm geographically limited, I tend to stress about this more than some people do.

Thanks.:)
Similar to when applying for grad school, you could ask faculty you are interested in working with if they are accepting post-docs.

Ollie123

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
I imagine a large portion of it is networking. I'm not there yet, but I've found conferences are great for this - I've gotten 3 invitations to apply for post-docs already, and have had to tell people I'm nowhere near that stage yet!

Its an amazingly small world, so there's the old fashioned approach of "Ask your advisor". They'll know which of their colleagues routinely has funding for post-docs, etc. I've heard rumors of them being difficult to find, and it seems like it depends on your area, how flexible you are, etc. - I don't know anyone here who has had problems, its more often just a matter of "Where do you want to do your post-doc". If memory serves, you've said you are limiting yourself to the NYC/NJ area, which certainly does cut your options. I don't know what your specialty is, but regardless - if you have to limit yourself to an area, better NYC than rural Idaho;)

One approach might just be to look up typical locations online...large laboraties, med centers, etc. If they have 1 or more post-doc listed and would be a good fit, then its probably worth shooting an email to the director to see if they are currently looking. They may not be if positions are limited, but no harm done in that case. In some cases, even if they aren't actively looking, places will "find" money if you are a great fit and they really want you, though I imagine this is becoming harder with the current economic climate.

Last edited:

Cosmo75

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2008
Chicago
Status
Post Doc
Ollie is correct that this is when networking really starts to come into play. My post-doc is with a previous practicum supervisor who I've built a solid relationship with over grad school. If you have good relationships with previous supervisors and it'd be a good fit for you, contact them early about any potential positions. I wouldn't wait until the post-doc search gets into full swing.

I'm not really sure what doing an APPIC approved post-doc brings to the table at this point? I don't think non-APPIC will be listed in their database.

There are listservs that many post-docs are posted on. My DCT at my internship was great at forwarding us any emails that he received with post-doc announcements, so hopefully you have a similar experience. Depending on where you do your internship, you may have the option to take a job or post-doc there. I know a few people who did that. Other sources include the Monitor, though there aren't tons listed from what I've seen. Your department would also be a logical choice.

OP
P

psychmama

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2008
NYC Area
Status
Psychologist
Thanks everyone. It sounds like the best strategy is to approach the postdoc search from as many angles as possible, and to do so early. I will take this to heart!

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I've been told to START EARLY! While there are some formal avenues to pursue post-doc positions, it seems that much of it is by word of mouth and connections. I've talked some with prior places I've worked, but everyone seems to be on a different time table. For the time being, make sure to update your CV, talk to supervisors about LORs, regularly review postings on APPIC, and monitor the various list-servs out there (both general and topic specific).

It seems that positions get posted throughout the year, so it is hard to say when the process actually starts. I know people who had their sites down by December, while others were just getting around to looking towards the end of the Spring. I'm hoping to land at a VA or treatment center, so I think I'll need to get going sooner than later.

One of the challenges with post-docs is the Informal v. Formal options. Funding can be an issue, as some places won't "officially" have the funding until the end of the process, while other places want to get their people locked in early so they aren't left scrambling.

If anyone knows of any good, formalized, and paid post-doc positions in the VA or at eating disorder treatment (Sub.abuse works too)...feel free to drop me a PM. :D I'm looking specifically for health and/or neuro related placements, but I am flexible.