Finding the right research mentor/connections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told many times that finding the right research lab is important for very competitive programs, mainly because the well known researchers also know a lot of influential people in residency programs. Therefore, a well-known research mentor will not only write you a letter of recommendation that will help in your residency applications, but he/she will make phone calls on your behalf to his/her friends.

So, my question is: How would I know which researchers are well-known and which ones are not? I will be attending medical school far from my undergrand school so I have no idea about the reputation of the researchers there.

Any advice is appreciated as I try to find the right lab, obviously my interest in the lab plays a big factor too.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I might not know much, but you could start by using the internet.;)
For whatever specialty/research topic you are interested in, find the best peer reviewed journal on that subject. Say e.g. for neuroscience- Neuron, and for cell biologists, its Cell. Versus other general journals like Nature or Science. Look for the professor that does a LOT of work that gets published in big time journals. Although, it might also mean it will be harder to get a position.
Well known mentors are also usually featured on the front pages of the department's website, or frequently appear in the internal newspaper of the hospital or school. Just do a lot of readings on your subject of interest, and the person who keeps coming up in pubmed searches, and is in your school might just be quite popular. Usually because a lot of collaboration is needed in research. So they will also know a lot of other influential people.

My lil' $0.02.

Read my research FAQ for how to find a research mentor in med school.

Between a "no-name" lab where I'd get published + experience + training vs. a "big name" lab, I'll go for no-name 100% of the time. The value in doing research is building a skill set and generating a track record of good work (i.e. pubs). A "big name" will mean different things to different people in different fields, meaning you can't change your mind on which residency you choose. A big name won't guarantee you learning anything, or a pub, or that you'll actually work with the big name (i.e., post-docs). Focus on finding a productive place with a mentor that can teach you.

Read my research FAQ for how to find a research mentor in med school.

Between a "no-name" lab where I'd get published + experience + training vs. a "big name" lab, I'll go for no-name 100% of the time. The value in doing research is building a skill set and generating a track record of good work (i.e. pubs). A "big name" will mean different things to different people in different fields, meaning you can't change your mind on which residency you choose. A big name won't guarantee you learning anything, or a pub, or that you'll actually work with the big name (i.e., post-docs). Focus on finding a productive place with a mentor that can teach you.
Agreed. If you pick someone based on their fame you'll most likely hardly ever see the guy (or gal), and you most likely won't ever make it past 4th author on his/her publications. Pick someone who will spend time and mentor you on the in and outs of research.