Finding Veterinary Assistant Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandacowl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did some shadowing and volunteering as a veterinary assistant at an animal shelter. I'm trying to find veterinary assistant jobs, besides websites listed by google, glassdoor, and ziprecruiter anyone else know any other sites to look for jobs in the veterinary field? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t know of many websites, but honestly cold calling can sometimes be a good way to do it. Especially for jobs that’ll just be short term before vet school. That’s how I did it. I think I called/emailed maybe 4 places and one hired me.

But also try Indeed, LinkedIn, and ihireveterinary.

I personally didn’t use any websites. I made an resume and cover letter for all 8 of the vet hospitals in my area and told them I would do a working interview when I dropped them off. :laugh: May have been aggressive but I got a great job that trained me!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I made a list of all the vet clinics within 20 miles of my house, printed out my resume, and dropped it off at all those clinics while nicely dressed. I had a set of scrubs in my car just in case. Hit 20 clinics per day. Got 2 hits on the first day.

I also used a local vet tech school's job board a different summer.

I used indeed when I wasn’t looking for an assistant job! If there is a Blue Pearl near you I would suggest them, that’s where I obtained my experience. They hired me with absolutely no experience and it was pretty good at my personal clinic!

Reactions: 1 users
I found mine through a Facebook post of all things! My sister got hers by going to about 30 local clinics and dropping off resumes (she had no college and no experience).

I got my job through indeed! At first, I only applied to about 10 clinics near me. I had no luck. So I decided to apply to veterinary clinics about 30-40 minutes away, and I finally got hired. The commute sucks, but I really love the veterinarians I work for and the staff. The supportive environment makes up for the commute imho.

I think my first two vet jobs were from Craigslist ads. I can't recall for sure but I used it a lot when I first started working... not as many people post on there anymore it seems

My first vet job was through a Banfield. I had no experience and they still hired me. Plus, if you have pets, the benefits are nice too.

Back when I was first looking for vet experience, a mentor at school was helping me find opportunities by talking to people she knew. Ultimately, she ended up getting me a job in the clin path lab her husband was part of and the rest is history. My job for vet clinical practice experience later on was through family friends. My mom worked with someone whose son-in-law was vet a couple towns over. Mom asked the father-in-law if he thought the vet would be open to it, and then I called the vet myself after that. He said yes. Then my second clinic experience was because that vet called his mentor in a different town and vet #2 told me to come over whenever based on that reference. Absolutely never discount who you know and your social network...so many jobs are word of mouth.

I found my first Vet Assistant job from a local craigslist job post.

I recently came across this iHireVeterinary website which seems to have lots of vet jobs postings in many areas.

Craigslist and Indeed :) Don't search just "veterinary assistant" but try various variations such as just "veterinary" etc. as the position might be the same but title different. I would also search "kennel" as a lot of the postings I've seen for kennel want someone who can cross train or have the same duties as a VA.

I don't know of any websites but I found that calling and/or going to the clinic was best as many of the clinics in my area don't post job listings online! I called around to a few of my local clinics and asked about internships and they allowed me to intern for 2 days during the week. I did that for about a month and a half and showed them that I was reliable and trainable and then I asked the office manager about possibly working at the clinic and they just hired me full time!