Finding work in states unknown...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJspreadsheet

inside the box
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on how to go about finding job opportunities (as a new grad) in states with no connections to where you did residency? And a broader question I guess - any idea on resources to see how good the job market is in a particular state?

Members don't see this ad.

Any advice on how to go about finding job opportunities (as a new grad) in states with no connections to where you did residency? And a broader question I guess - any idea on resources to see how good the job market is in a particular state?

Contact a residency program director in the city you want to work in. They get tons of contacts for job opportunities.

Job recruiters, USA today, psychiatric times, Indeed, Locum Tenens.

You can try calling human resources of various hospitals, agencies, or outpatient clinics.

Regarding the question of finding out how good the job market is, the only places that seem to have saturated markets for psychiatry jobs are places like Boston and NYC from what I have heard and experienced. Other than that, you should have no trouble getting some nibbles just about anywhere in the USA. If you post your CV on a few websites like PracticeMatch, you will quickly have a steady stream of calls and emails from recruiters.