Finish Pre-reqs then apply or apply with a couple of classes to finish up??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddiegirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilema - I work full time and take classes part-time. In the fall of 2012, I will have everything finished for my application except for biochem, microbiology and organic chem 2. I'll be in the middle of taking the organic chem and microbiology in the fall and will start biochem in the spring.

Should I aim for submitting my application in the fall of 2012 or wait until the fall of 2013 when I have completed everything? Thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the money for it, I'd apply with the prerecs still left to go. The worst that can happen is that you aren't accepted. You'd still get the practice of applying and can go to the review to see what they have to say. How much vet experience do you have?

This shouldn't be a problem at most schools (check individual schools to be sure). I had 4-5 classes to complete the year I applied (depending on the school) and it didn't seem to be a problem.

My only input (as I have said before) is not to just do the minimum pre-reqs to get in, but try to do as many other upper level bio classes you can to get exposure for your own sake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be in the same situation and my plan is to apply with at least 2 pre-reqs in progress (biochem and physics1) and one more left to take for spring (physics 2).

Worst case scenario, I don't get in, and apply again next year! As long as you can afford a few extra application fees (which is nothing in comparison to tuition costs), I don't see a reason not to do it.

Personally, I would highly prefer to start vet school right after graduation and not have an extra year to get lazy and try to find work and the like. Of course, beggars can't be choosers, and my ultimate goal is just to get into a school at some point!

Thanks for the responses.

I have probably well over 1500 hours of vet experience. I used to work for a vet junior and senior year of high school. Then I worked for another vet for about a year after high school. That was some time ago though, so as a precaution I started shadowing at my vet last year. My recent experience isn't as grand though, but should be by the time I apply.

I haven't taken upper level biology classes yet, but would like to before I apply. I just figured that I'd get one cycle under my belt and see what I need to improve on sooner rather than later.

Any suggestions for strictly animal experience? I did not do 4H or anything of the sort growing up. I know we cannot count personal pets as experience, which sucks because I have had SO many animals, and such varied animal experiences as a pet owner. I've had everything from hampsters to horses and even some wild animals in between.

Right now to bolster my animal experience, I am volunteering at an animal shelter and therapeutic riding center. I hope that's enough.

Animal experience is not necessary and veterinary experience is way more important

I put 0 hours down for animal experience and still got accepted to 2 schools and waitlisted at another, and had only 500 hrs of veterinary shadowing

I would worry less about getting animal experience and either focus on taking those upper level bio classes or start shadowing/working for another type of vet to round out your experiences (ie. if you've been shadowing a small animal vet, try to spend time with an equine vet, or zoo animal etc)

SOV - I've seen some of your posts, but offhand cannot remember your background. I take it you just did the pre-reqs, applied and were accepted, but then struggled?

I've always been very adept at the natural sciences, but I do not actually have a degree in science. What upperlevels should I at least attempt or gain a more thorough understanding of before I dive into vet school?

I'm thinking histology and virology? Maybe some immunology?

SOV - I've seen some of your posts, but offhand cannot remember your background. I take it you just did the pre-reqs, applied and were accepted, but then struggled?
Pretty much

I've always been very adept at the natural sciences, but I do not actually have a degree in science. What upperlevels should I at least attempt or gain a more thorough understanding of before I dive into vet school?

I'm thinking histology and virology? Maybe some immunology?

Those sound good. Personally I had trouble in anatomy because there was just so much new terminology so I would have preferred a comparative anatomy and/or developmental biology. Anything with a dissection would be nice!

At penn you can place out of classes like histology, developmental, nutrition, and immunology (1st year) so always nice to have fewer classes!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. :)

Pretty much [...] Anything with a dissection would be nice!

Ugh. That's what makes me nervous. I have basically the bare minimum pre-reqs because I didn't want to keep spending money (and time) when I could move forward. I hope that doesn't turn out to have been penny wise and pound foolish.

Animal Bio at least had constant dissections, but it seemed pretty trivial/easy.

To the OP: I'd apply. I'm on board with the people who said you don't have much to lose (a bit of cash, potentially, which might be slightly offset even if you DON'T get in by giving you experience you might need to craft the application that does get you in).

I would apply. I applied as a junior, and still had to complete a full year of physics, genetics in the fall, microbio in the spring... and actually I did one of my english classes in the fall, too, but that was kind of a special case. So, if you total that... I had 5 classes that I was taking towards pre-reqs.

I got 3/3 acceptances, so they didn't mind too much. They all looked at my fall grades, anyway, so it was just physics and microbio (only for Purdue) outstanding in the spring.

Do it!

Thanks so much for all the encouragement!! I think I'm definitely going to up my timeline and apply for Fall 2012. If nothing else I will get a clear picture of what needs improvement.

I've done several dissections of the fetal pig and I'm fairly comfortable with that aspect and looking forward to going more indepth. I guess I'm a weird one, fascinated by the blood, guts and gore. :D