Finished DAT 5/23...Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionDental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just finished my DAT today. Very happy with my scores but would like your general feedback, since I do have a slight/major blemish in one of them.

Breakdown:
PAT 23
QR16
RC 21
B 19
GC 25
OC 27
TS 22
AA 22

How do schools look at QR in relation to the other scores? QR had a lot of word problems. Out of all sections, I spent the least amount of time preparing for QR, and I guess it showed!

Are there particular schools who are known to place greater emphasis on the QR section? Thanks for your feedback.

Used Kaplan Blue Book (3rd edition), destroyer, and topscore for 6 weeks.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wow, great job! I don't think any schools focus on the QR score, but some might have a cut-off. Check with the schools you are interested in (web page, email, phone). I don't really know anything, but I bet you'll be fine.

damn. congrats on those scores! i don't think you'll have any trouble getting into dental school. just apply early and you're good to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you get an AA of 22 from a 16,21, and 22.
How do you calculate AA. I know how to calculate TS.
Anyway, great job, if you want to do bad on a section, Qr is the one to do it on.

How do you get an AA of 22 from a 16,21, and 22.
How do you calculate AA. I know how to calculate TS.
Anyway, great job, if you want to do bad on a section, Qr is the one to do it on.

AA = (QR + RC + GC + OC + Bio )/5

= (16 + 21 + 25 + 27 + 19)/5

= 21.6, which rounds to 22

The OP scored 22.

I wish all the math on the DAT was this easy.

AA = (QR + RC + GC + OC + Bio )/5

= (16 + 21 + 25 + 27 + 19)/5

= 21.6, which rounds to 22

The OP scored 22.

I wish all the math on the DAT was this easy.

Thanks, my problem was that I was using TS x 3 rather than each science section.

WOW!! Lovely scores man. QR is a bit below average but I am certain you will be accepted to some schools. How did you study? Please give some insight. I am getting ready to start studying and need to know what you think gave you the edge? Thanks

wow.. nice scores. how did you study? do you have any advice for us taking it in the upcoming weeks?

Spent about 3.5 weeks going through Kaplan blue book. I feel it is important to know the provided topics extremely well, calculations on the real DAT were minimal and basic if any. These two sections are really based on concepts and not memorization, so it is important to understand the underlying mechs and concepts behind reactions and different topics. Went through Destroyer, but didn't finish. Bio and Ochem were my favorites. Gchem was too calculation heavy...i'd say do it only if you're not strapped for time. Took the three topscore exams the last week before my exam date.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Congratulations on your scores. Don't worry about QR, you did reall good on other sections, so you are set. Were the questions remotely similar to the Kaplan blue book test in the back? Alot of ppl say that Kaplan was alot easier. What is your take on it? And which book helped you the most? I have destroyer but I think that the questions in general are just not "it" at least for the Bio section. And Kaplan blue book is too succinct to really understand topics well, so I am using my college texts instead.

How long did you study for the DAT? I studied about 15 days of hardcore focused hours around the clock and I only have a couple of days till the 30th to study for the DAT so I need your advice. Did almost every topic come out from the Kaplan book?

I didn't really take the practice test in the back of the Kaplan Blue book, because it was used and my buddy already wrote all over it. I came across a handful of really random questions on the bio section on the DAT. I really don't know how you can prepare for it--there may be some level of luck involved in which questions you get...hopefully you'll see questions that you have come across in your studying.

I studied for 6 weeks. I work full time now, but luckily my boss let me work half-time during the time i was studying for my DATs. I worked from 9-1 PM. Went home and ate lunch, then went to a local coffee shop to study from around 3:00 to 7:00 PM, ate dinner, then studied from around 9-12 AM. give or take an hour or so on any day. GL!

Congrats on your scores! I can only hope mine will be close. I was wondering though, when you were studying, how much of it was review and how much was learning it for the first time. I feel as if my bio courses in school didn't really prep me (in other words I didn't learn anything from them) and I never took physio, anatomy, etc. I am using the princton review books and so much of the material is new to me. Were you in the same boat? Also for the chem section on the actual DAT, how much of it was first semester gen chem material and how much was 2nd semester (aka titrations, acid base chem, rate laws, etc)? Thanks so much for your input!!

wow nice scores!
congrats!

PS: Ohio State wanted me to tell you not to apply there :p