Finished DAT. Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUrunning

On the Iron Path
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took it today and heres what I got
PAT 17
Math 17
Reading 24
Bio 20
Chem 19
Ochem 19
TS 19
AA 20

GPA: 3.4
Science gpa: ~3.1

I am definitely retaking, my science gpa is way to low, I know that.
My question is how do you guys tackle the PAT? My strategy was to get thru as fast as I can with angles, hole punching, and cubes because those are definitely the easiest and then do the rest but somehow I always run out of time and that costs me points again and again.
What about math? I though the questions on the DAT were ridiculously easy compared to destroyer and bootcamp and I am shocked that I received a 17.
In y'alls opinions, does the chem and ochem sections on the test vary widely in terms of difficulty? I thought it was great and hopefully it doesnt change when I retake it.

Members don't see this ad.

What I did for the PAT was start with Hole Punching, then cubes, then fold patterns, then apertures, TFE, and finally angles. The reasons I did this was because the first three were my stronger sections, followed by apertures and TFE which were my weakest, and I left angles till the end, because if you're running out of time in the PAT, angles can at least be narrowed down to a 50/50 choice, so if you have to guess in the last few questions it won't be as bad. My PAT score was 23
I should also say that I wrote the Canadian DAT, I'm not sure that changes anything other than the test being on paper.

I don't think you need to retake.. You didn't score extremely low in the PAT section and your GPA is about average for the applicants that get accepted.. Unless you know for sure 100% you will do better taking it again, I would say just keep your scores and head up and apply to a variety of schools. You got a 19 TS and 20AA, that's AWESOME!!
Just my little bit of advice, best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know when the next one is, but Kaplan has a promotional PAT class that is free. I took the entire Kaplan course because I thought the PAT class was so great. (Don't be fooled it is not worth buying) However I would highly suggest you sign up for the free class-it goes over all the sections and talks about how to approach it. In addition, I suggest this youtube video for the hole punching... . Good luck to you if you decide to retake:)

I applied with 2 sections that were 17 (Bio and PAT). I think you are in a better shape because none of your sciences are a 17.
I had called my state school too, and they did not recommend me to retake either.

My oGPA and sGPA were definitely less than yours too!

I don't know when the next one is, but Kaplan has a promotional PAT class that is free. I took the entire Kaplan course because I thought the PAT class was so great. (Don't be fooled it is not worth buying) However I would highly suggest you sign up for the free class-it goes over all the sections and talks about how to approach it. In addition, I suggest this youtube video for the hole punching... . Good luck to you if you decide to retake:)

Yeah this is the video I used, hole punching is my favorite