Finished Post bacc... with one oops... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just finished a one year, highly intensive post bacc program. I did ok overall but I got one C, in anatomy...a 5 credit course. I know thats going to stick out like a sore thumb on my application. Here are my final grades:

Semester 1:

Physiology B
Biochemistry B
Critical Thinking A
Cell Biology B
Histology B
Genetics A
Microbiology B

Semester 2:

Anatomy C
Immunology B
Virology B
Pathology B
Pharm & Toxicology B
Intro to Medicine B

Since Anatomy was a 5 credit course it pulled my GPA down quite a bit... I'm not even sure I should bother applying for next years cycle. I need some advice on what I can do to strengthen my application. Im determined to get in, so please don't tell me to reconsider my career choice.

If you're determined to get in, then I'm sure you already know what you need to do to strengthen your app, especially since you've given very little additional information. But, I'm guessing that since you did a 1-year post-bacc that your undergrad grades were less than stellar. Having said that, you've got a lot of B's and not a lot of A's...a 3.08 in a 1-yr post-bacc is not very strengthening in my opinion....

if you did 1 year of SMP, which it does like it, either you have to do another year of masters with 4.0 or choose something easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
After a weak post-bacc performance, you are now going to have to transition into a Masters program and obtain a degree. Also, you are most likely going to need to get a 21+ on the DAT. I would start applying right away as most graduate programs are coming to a close on applications. GL

I see a lot more than one oops... I would recommend a biomedical science masters. They are usually one year and don't require thesis. These are mainly for reapplicants and non-trads trying to get into dental/med school needing a GPA boost. You will need close to a 4.0 so your going to have to step it up. I went to Barry in Florida, there are others out there as well.

:thumbup: Strange enough, I saw a lot more than one oops too. Frankly speaking, your one year post bac is a failure. Really wonder how you can improve your GPA with a 3.0 ish post bac. You even got a C in Anatomy which looks pretty bad. Like everyone else has said, you must finish a Master with a GPA no less than 3.8.

Im not arguing with what you're saying... but I dont understand how people can get into dental school with a 3.4 from UNDERGRAD and it would take and 3.8 of graduate level work to do the same. Don't they take into consideration the difference in difficulty?

Im not arguing with what you're saying... but I dont understand how people can get into dental school with a 3.4 from UNDERGRAD and it would take and 3.8 of graduate level work to do the same. Don't they take into consideration the difference in difficulty?

Because you have to make up for your low undergrad GPA in one year. You can't just go to grad school and continue to get straight B's. Also because usually a C is failing in a grad program and GPAs are higher.