Finished Step 2 Yesterday, some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jattdoc

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well just finished Step 2 and it wasn?t so bad?.thanks to everyone who?s been diligently posting over the years in this USMLE/COMLEX FORUM

Here?s how I studied?I know it may seem like an overkill?but with hey I had a lot of free time?started studying early may for an August 30th exam?plus the usual studying during rotations?

All this is just my own opinion and observations?.so don?t read it and take as divine word?and i didn't proof read this...

OBY/GYN ? I had a 2 month rotation, so I read Blueprints 3 times during my rotation. Way overkill, read only if you plan to go into OB, otherwise B&W or Crush is more than enough.

SURGERY ? Started surgical recall, but that didn?t last long, quickly switched to blueprints for surgery, its really easy reading and more than adequate, unless you plan to go to surgery, then I would read surgical recall which is a good reference book.

PSYCHIATARY ? Easy rotation, read High Yield Behavioral Science and Blueprints for Psych, both easy to breeze through

INTERNAL MEDCINE-FAMILY PRACTICE ? Read Harrisons Pocket Manual of Medicine Once, and then got the best medicine book ever written. Ferry?s- Practical guide to care of medical patients, get this book, its rocks, cant say enough good stuff about it, plus if you plan to go into medicine it will make your life easier later..

PEDIATRICS ? Started with Blueprints, personally its way too much info, I found it to be the worse one of the series, I think B&W and Crush Step 2 was more than enough.

MAIN STUDY BOOKS

B&W ? read this 5 times?very detailed book, read only if you have a lot of time?I think it has a great OBGYN and PEDS sections.

CRUSH STEP 2 ? Read 6 times?cool book, if you only want to pass just read this, but make sure you have some other stuff to reference.

STEP 2 SECERETS ? same as crush step 2 but in a question answer format, I just skimmed this one.

CRUSH STEP 3 ? Basically a Shorter and updated version of Crush Step 2, read 3 times in the last week before the exam

ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT for STEP 2 ? An awesome little book for you bathroom or the last hour before the exam?this book is little outdated but it rocks.

OTHER BOOKS ? Make sure you look up the main DERM and OPTHAMOLOGY pictures in a good atlas. I just looked up the main diseases mentioned in crush, so that I was familiar with what they looked, since you never know what is going to show up. I didn?t have a single eye picture (Go figure?)

QUESTION BANKS I USED

Started USMLEWORLD , got 53% the first time?I actually did better but the beginning low scores killed my average. Started with low 30?s then moved to upper seventies towards the end. REPEATED usmleword and averaged 73%. These best source of questions in my opinion.

Q-BANK ? 69% avg first time around, as usually towards the end I was getting in 80% consistently. Q-bank is a little expensive and seems outdated compared to usmle and not on top of latest recommendations and their questions seem simplified?if I had to choose one I would do USMLEWORLD

NMS STEP 2 ? Good book, ranged from 65%-75%. Plus a good learning tool and cheap source of questions.

MOCK STEP 2 ? this is by the same doctor who writes crush step 2 ? the questions basically tests your recall from the book crush step 2?if you have to see how much of crush step 2 you remember from your reading then I would do these questions. Otherwise I would skip them.

NBME SELF ASSESSMENT ? I Guess this is as close as it gets to the real thing. Here is how I did..

Form 1 ? 350...felt like crap?..2nd try 520
From 2- 500 first try?..2nd try 560
This assessment is the as close as you are going to get to the real thing, so don?t shortchange yourself in the end, spend the 45bucks, you?ll have much more confidence going into the exam?

THE EXAM ITSELF

Not as bad as I would have imagined?.i think doing the question really helped, especially with getting the timing down?.its an exhausting exam so make sure you get used to sitting and staring at computer for hours, especially if they are crappy like the one?s at testing centers?

Here is how I split my test 3 blocks- break, 2 blocks ? break, 1 block break, 1 block break, 1 bloc break.....the last few blocks were nightmare...almost felt like a workout?

The test covered everything imaginable?I think that NBME should send people to rotate with students so they can go outside of their imagined little lives and realize what is really going on rotations?

Some general observations about the test

PICTURES ? X-rays, CT scans, EKG were top quality, no complaints, easy to see

LABS ? DEFINITELY MEMORIZE the following ? these will make test easier and almost cuts down the size of questions by half.
1. Chem 7
2. CBC
3. Anemia Values (iron, etc)
4. Thyroid

SUBJECT WISE ? this is all I can remember

SURGERY ? 50% G Surgery, 50% Tossup between Vascular, Ortho, Neuro, etc Definitely know the workup about acute abdomen, trauma which are easy points compared to some of the medicine questions.

OB/GYN ? The worst, know you Abortions, 3rd Trimester Bleeds, and one word, AMENORHEA ----------read this again, and again?.this will kill you if your not ready for this?just go to any good OB text and memorize the algorithm and you?ll be glad?.

PEDS ? hated this too?know the damn immunizations, even though most books tell you that they will be provided?yeah right?milestones, rashes, GI. Stuff, respiratorys?and that the worse of all, congenital heart problems?these have me a hard time for some reason?

PSYCH ? was freakin hard?where the hell are all these people that the question are talking about?I mean rotate through a top notch pscych hospital and even these patients had better lives?Trust me they don?t put simple depression and bipolar. Know your MEDS and SIDE EFFECTS. Child psych is hard as hell?they all seemed normal to mean, I guess you have to how describe them in psych lingo?Biostatistics was fairly straight forward.

MEDICINE ? CARDIOVASCULAR & RESPIRATORY seemed like 50-60% of the questions. Some hard and some easy, don?t really know what to say besides, that don?t ignore your ENDO , nbme knows about this little secret and they will come after you on test?so focus on your weakness

Overally I think the test split this way. 50% you knew, 25% you think you knew but time will telll...and the remaining are the one's that made you question your choice in pursuing medicine....

oh well....good luck to those who passed and for those waiting for score or who plan on taking it...i can say that i share your feeling of worthlessness walking out of this exam...i felt much better coming out STEP 1 then step 2....

That?s all I can think off?if you have questions or comments please feel free to post?..later

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
doc05 said:
since when is surgical recall a reference book?

I meant that for slackers like me, who dont' even know the difference between the type of sutures, and surgery terminology, etc.

congrats on taking that thing after youre rock solid preparations seems like wheeew! You know most people that did really well just say, aw I studied a little, and then come out with like a 93 or 94, so at least youre honest about youre prep... gotta say.. wow!! reading crush 6 times? wow thats great! Is it a really hy and useful book? also what do you recommend doing for the last month before the exam.. should I reread my books cover to cover, or focus more on consolidation and review and questions? I have a very similar studying schedule as yours, and similar scores on the same qbanks, although I am not done with NMS, I dont find those questions to be too hy.. in other words covered by the most reliable sources.. but the explanations are really good.. I read Kaplan notes cover to cover for everything..

Andwhat?

I always wondered that about people posting here who said they studied little and scored well??but I think that people on student doctor tend to be a little bit more insightful and motivated than general med school population, and I think that explains the good results with minimum studying?plus some people are just really smart, and we can just mooch of their advice?.but since I?m going to take the test myself?I better be damn sure I know my material and feed confident?anyways?

If I had one month?first thing I would do is to take an NBME SELF assessment, so that you honestly know where you stand, and then focus on the parts that weak depending on the profile that you can print after you finish the assessment?.secondly, I would do usmleworld again if you still have time or can afford too, you?ll be surprised at how much you still don?t know, also finish the NMS Question book, along with reading its explanations, you'll learn a lot even if the questions seem simple and detailed..?and as your doing these questions, on a notepad, write down the main concepts in the questions that you are missing?don?t worry about how many questions your getting wrong, but why your getting them wrong?...the reason you need to keep doing questions for 3 more weeks is so that you don't loose your endurance and stamina, its a long and neverending test....finally in the last 1-1.5 weeks, I would pick B&Wards or Crush or whatever was the main book your using for the exam and just start reading it thoroughly and browsing a good medical atlas ?.in case you don?t have crush step 2, I would try to borrow it or get it form a library, its worth reading?

great advice from a great examinee! :cool: thanks a TON man... I wish you the best in youre endeavors...

i have asked this a few times...but, everyone ignores me! maybe you can help...any correlation with the mock exam percentages and step 2 score? just a rough idea would help me gauge where i am...thanks for the post, btw.

well to be perfectly honest Neil (believe me I have been around the block in step II discussions) nobody really uses the Mock as an assessment, it is the material pretty much exactly what is stated in Crush.. and Crush is more reliable and time efficient as compared to Mock...but I think that theres not much of a correlation percentage wise with the real exam and Mock, thats why generally people do not regard it as such. I bought it too out of panic, but now I realize that I could have eaten out for a whole week with that money.... :confused: I already have crush and secrets, what compelled me to buy that book.. who knows... :mad: man you should get on USMLE World and Kaplan Qbank, but youre first correlation should stick with the Kaplan CD if you have it, to point out youre strengths and weaknesses relatively..

JattDoc, still havent lost my touch from USMLE World, scored in the mid 70s today, dont know whether thats a good indicator, or that I just know the concepts discussed in that Qbank well... anyways.. I am going to take that CCSSA starting next week, 100 qs per day, and they go by faster because theres no explanations supposedly, so I can do those first thing in the morning, and then revise the rest of the day...
thanks Jatt - hope I helped Neil. My exam is in a few weeks.... :scared:

cool..thanks for the input. i have done a couple off of the kaplan cd, getting in the high 60's. i bought mock cause it was super cheap (15 bucks, couldn't pass it up) and i learned from step 1 that questions are the way to go.

i am basically planning to learn boards and wards word for word, and do as many practice questions as possible. i have crush, it is ok too, and several other books. but i suffered from a compulsive urge to buy as many books for step 1 as possible, and as a result i didn't really get a coherent, comprehensive study plan going, nor did i focus enough on test taking skills. i passed but with a crappy score, so i am certainly aiming to reverse that trend with step 2.

anyhow, that was a long winded thanks from me:)

Thanks for the advice, Jattdoc. The advice on the other thread is good too. There's no way I could study that much. I don't know how you did it. It's impressive! It's a good thing my mom doesn't know you, or I'd hear about it..."see how much s/he studies..." :laugh:

~kris

Kris..

Yep, I had a couple of dorks in my family who aced everything?and my mom would use the famous line too?but then I had a famous comeback ?I didn?t ask to be born??this would get them mad as hell? :laugh: j/k?but anyways?

Trust me?I?m a big time slacker?a bottom feeder according to my med school rank I thinks its like 117/124 from bottom?and a few repeats of classes in med school, and a lot of f?s and d?s in undergrad?.i think the residency committe are going to think that i'm some kind of idiot von svant after looking at my transcripts and my scores.......oh well...I?m not expecting any letters from the Noble Committee?its just that you just have to know on what to focus and what to ignore?and these exam?s matter a lot for residency?so I just stepped it up a little?later

I gotta say that is some performance study wise on Step II, may I ask, did you put in similar efforts towards youre Step I, and did it pay off? I think thats a great study effort, combined with great practice scores.... :thumbup:

Anybody wanna split USMLEworld subscription with me? I only plan to use it from Sept 16 to 20. Please PM me. thanks.

Jattdoc said:
Kris..

Yep, I had a couple of dorks in my family who aced everything?and my mom would use the famous line too?but then I had a famous comeback ?I didn?t ask to be born??this would get them mad as hell? :laugh: j/k?but anyways?

Trust me?I?m a big time slacker?a bottom feeder according to my med school rank I thinks its like 117/124 from bottom?and a few repeats of classes in med school, and a lot of f?s and d?s in undergrad?.i think the residency committe are going to think that i'm some kind of idiot von svant after looking at my transcripts and my scores.......oh well...I?m not expecting any letters from the Noble Committee?its just that you just have to know on what to focus and what to ignore?and these exam?s matter a lot for residency?so I just stepped it up a little?later

Oye Guru...........they might think you stuck Gabbar Singh in your place!
If they question you ...........slap 'em!
:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Jattdoc said:
Overally I think the test split this way. 50% you knew, 25% you think you knew but time will telll...and the remaining are the one's that made you question your choice in pursuing medicine....

oh well....good luck to those who passed and for those waiting for score or who plan on taking it...i can say that i share your feeling of worthlessness walking out of this exam...i felt much better coming out STEP 1 then step 2....

That?s all I can think off?if you have questions or comments please feel free to post?..later

I took it yesterday. Jattdoc nailed it in his post. (I started to post a response on another thread, but I think this pretty much got it right... so no need to). This was pretty much exactly my experience, but apparently he was much more prepared than I was. I thought there was about 30% I was fairly certain of. Another 30% that I could "narrow down to two" and the rest was... pffffft! Who the hell knows! It killed me. I'll be happy if I pass.

The breaks I took were: 2 blocks - break - 2 blocks - lunch - 2 blocks - break - 2 blocks - done. And, I used every single bit of the nine hours. The last two blocks, I pretty much couldn't even see straight anymore. I was so weary... I think Jattdoc's break schedule would've worked better. Be prepared to read a LOT. I found the review questions in the USMLE World and others were a little superficial in that regard. A lot of the questions on the actual exam tested "third-hand" knowledge, e.g. you knew the disease (which wasn't given or asked), you knew the treatment (which also wasn't given or asked), but then they went off the wall and wanted to know something like what the longterm sequelae would be without treatment. I had a very specific question about that concerning Lyme disease, and the choices they gave to pick from were not the obvious ones (at least in my mind) like erosive arthritis, etc. CRAZY! Overall, I think USMLE World is good at pinpointing deficiencies, but MKSAP 2 was much more "on" as far as the medicine questions go.

And, to add to Jattdoc's PEDS section review, I had literally ten questions on "kid with a limp", from septic arthritis to avascular necrosis to fractures... I can't believe the number of questions they asked on this alone! This is not covered very well in the review books. Also, I thought the psych and the biostats was pretty straightforward. Guess this proves that we all have our baseline strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck to everyone. Don't take this test lightly. You can't possibly overprepare. It's a bear.

-SI

Skip Intro said:
I took it yesterday. Jattdoc nailed it in his post. (I started to post a response on another thread, but I think this pretty much got it right... so no need to). This was pretty much exactly my experience, but apparently he was much more prepared than I was. I thought there was about 30% I was fairly certain of. Another 30% that I could "narrow down to two" and the rest was... pffffft! Who the hell knows! It killed me. I'll be happy if I pass.

The breaks I took were: 2 blocks - break - 2 blocks - lunch - 2 blocks - break - 2 blocks - done. And, I used every single bit of the nine hours. The last two blocks, I pretty much couldn't even see straight anymore. I was so weary... I think Jattdoc's break schedule would've worked better. Be prepared to read a LOT. I found the review questions in the USMLE World and others were a little superficial in that regard. A lot of the questions on the actual exam tested "third-hand" knowledge, e.g. you knew the disease (which wasn't given or asked), you knew the treatment (which also wasn't given or asked), but then they went off the wall and wanted to know something like what the longterm sequelae would be without treatment. I had a very specific question about that concerning Lyme disease, and the choices they gave to pick from were not the obvious ones (at least in my mind) like erosive arthritis, etc. CRAZY! Overall, I think USMLE World is good at pinpointing deficiencies, but MKSAP 2 was much more "on" as far as the medicine questions go.

And, to add to Jattdoc's PEDS section review, I had literally ten questions on "kid with a limp", from septic arthritis to avascular necrosis to fractures... I can't believe the number of questions they asked on this alone! This is not covered very well in the review books. Also, I thought the psych and the biostats was pretty straightforward. Guess this proves that we all have our baseline strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck to everyone. Don't take this test lightly. You can't possibly overprepare. It's a bear.

-SI
hi skip intro thanks so much for your feedback i just finished the usmleword and i was feeling a little confident...but with your feedback indicating that the usmleworld qbank is not so sufficient.i am not sure anymore.. please and please what additional material/qbank/books do you think i should review..i take the exam in exactly 2 weeks and i really need to ACE THIS EXAM..also did you do nbme self ass...what is your opinion about them.. i am also reading crush step2 and B&W...what do you think....pls buddy save my life

cardioboy said:
hi skip intro thanks so much for your feedback i just finished the usmleword and i was feeling a little confident...but with your feedback indicating that the usmleworld qbank is not so sufficient.i am not sure anymore.. please and please what additional material/qbank/books do you think i should review..i take the exam in exactly 2 weeks and i really need to ACE THIS EXAM..also did you do nbme self ass...what is your opinion about them.. i am also reading crush step2 and B&W...what do you think....pls buddy save my life

USMLE World is good at pointing out your deficiencies. For instance, I got 70%+ on Derm on USMLE World, but I had maybe 5 straight Derm questions on the entire Step exam.

What you should do in USMLE World is look at your cumulative breakdown. Any subject that you are still in the 50's percent-wise, you should definitely go back and review. I think Jattdoc mentioned Pocket Harrison's. The first 200 pages of Pocket Harrison's is totally money! It's a review of "Signs and Symptoms" and "Medical Emergencies". I'd say, no joke, 70% of the test covered these two areas.

Why USMLE World was a little weak, in my opinion, is that it focused heavily on certain things that were not that heavily tested. I felt like they missed a big chunk of what the NBME actually thought was more important. On the exam, there was very little "drugs for bugs", very little classic chest pain, just to name a couple. There as a lot of secondary hypertension. And, then, there were those questions where they give you all the information, but they just test to see how well you can use deductive reasoning to come up with the right answer. I had a specific question on this about how I'd change the insulin regimen for a diabetic... and the choice had about nine options to choose from.

Also, you need to know things like what metabolic disturbances will cause seizures, and then how to treat. For example, what would you give to a pregnant woman who's seizing... she's already getting fluids and mag sulfate... something that what won't hurt the baby? And, "immediate delivery" is not an option you're given to fix the problem because we're at, let's say, 18 weeks of gestation. These kinds of things just aren't covered very well in USMLE World or other review books. You have to put the knowledge you have together and apply it to atypical situations like that.

Likewise, tons of questions on hyponatremia, hypokalemia, hypophosphatemia, hypercalcemia in the face of overhydration vs. SIADH, or PTH secreting tumor vs. Paget's disease (etc.)... you have a LOT of labs to look at with a lot of options to choose from (sometimes 9 or 10) and not much time to think about. Either you know it cold, or you're going to burn time trying to deduce the answer.

Again, the review materials are good at pinpointing deficiencies. If you've done USMLE World and you're scoring in the 70's and 80's on that stuff, then don't worry about looking at that anymore. My weak areas were endocrinology and rheumatology - both tested very heavily - and I realize now that I should have spent a LOT more time on it, including things like which antibodies attack which specific cell types in which organs resulting in the specific signs and symptoms in things like polymyositis, scleroderma, CREST, lupus, etc.

Look at your deficiencies. Focus there.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
USMLE World is good at pointing out your deficiencies. For instance, I got 70%+ on Derm on USMLE World, but I had maybe 5 straight Derm questions on the entire Step exam.

What you should do in USMLE World is look at your cumulative breakdown. Any subject that you are still in the 50's percent-wise, you should definitely go back and review. I think Jattdoc mentioned Pocket Harrison's. The first 200 pages of Pocket Harrison's is totally money! It's a review of "Signs and Symptoms" and "Medical Emergencies". I'd say, no joke, 70% of the test covered these two areas.

Why USMLE World was a little weak, in my opinion, is that it focused heavily on certain things that were not that heavily tested. I felt like they missed a big chunk of what the NBME actually thought was more important. On the exam, there was very little "drugs for bugs", very little classic chest pain, just to name a couple. There as a lot of secondary hypertension. And, then, there were those questions where they give you all the information, but they just test to see how well you can use deductive reasoning to come up with the right answer. I had a specific question on this about how I'd change the insulin regimen for a diabetic... and the choice had about nine options to choose from.

Also, you need to know things like what metabolic disturbances will cause seizures, and then how to treat. For example, what would you give to a pregnant woman who's seizing... she's already getting fluids and mag sulfate... something that what won't hurt the baby? And, "immediate delivery" is not an option you're given to fix the problem because we're at, let's say, 18 weeks of gestation. These kinds of things just aren't covered very well in USMLE World or other review books. You have to put the knowledge you have together and apply it to atypical situations like that.

Likewise, tons of questions on hyponatremia, hypokalemia, hypophosphatemia, hypercalcemia in the face of overhydration vs. SIADH, or PTH secreting tumor vs. Paget's disease (etc.)... you have a LOT of labs to look at with a lot of options to choose from (sometimes 9 or 10) and not much time to think about. Either you know it cold, or you're going to burn time trying to deduce the answer.

Again, the review materials are good at pinpointing deficiencies. If you've done USMLE World and you're scoring in the 70's and 80's on that stuff, then don't worry about looking at that anymore. My weak areas were endocrinology and rheumatology - both tested very heavily - and I realize now that I should have spent a LOT more time on it, including things like which antibodies attack which specific cell types in which organs resulting in the specific signs and symptoms in things like polymyositis, scleroderma, CREST, lupus, etc.

-Skip
you are an angel...i mean it literally...thanks so much for the advice

undefined
Skip Intro said:

Thanks so much for share with us about your experience. Reading your post and others about experiences about step 2 it seems that people from NMBE want us to know very well about management of disease and one example is about changing regimen of insulin.
Taking about that I was reading a clinical guidelineabout management of DM 2....
Initial stabilization for Outpatientes requiring Inmediate Insuline Treatment
If the patient presents and is considered stable enough for outpatiente care but meets indications noted above for starting insulin, there are several acceptable ways of initiating insulin
-One example is to calculate the total daily dose of insulin at 0.3 units/kg and start bedtime glargine(long acting insulin) at 50%of the total dose,splitting the remaining 50% with short acting insulin before meals.
-Another example is to start an oral agent while simultaneously initiating glargine at a dose of aproximately 0.1 units/kg.
-A third example is to calculate the toal daily dose of insulin at 0.3 U/kg and use pre-mixed insulin with 2/3 the dose in the AM and 1/3 in the PM.
Prescribe Insulin Therapy
Lispro(humalog) and Aspart insuline should not be taken more than 15 minutes before meals in contrast to regular insulin which should ideally be takin at least 30 minutes before a meal to better match the insulin peakaction with post-meal hyperglycemia.(www.icsi.org Management of type 2 DM)

And I have a question from you all this informatio would be enough to answer the question in your exam that you were taking about?

I will be very glad to hear from you.

Noky

-Skip