Finishing allopathic internship but want to go back to osteopathic - help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzzzzz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am finishing up my pgy1 spot at an allopathic family medicine program, and I absolutely can't stand it. I am considering moving back to the town where I did my 3rd and 4th yr rotations, as they have a DO FM residency with spots open. But I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to make the switch. How penalized will I be from the AOA for going allo for a year? Is it a big deal? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am finishing up my pgy1 spot at an allopathic family medicine program, and I absolutely can't stand it. I am considering moving back to the town where I did my 3rd and 4th yr rotations, as they have a DO FM residency with spots open. But I'm trying to figure out what I have to do to make the switch. How penalized will I be from the AOA for going allo for a year? Is it a big deal? Thanks.

Was your PGY-1 dually accredited or or just ACGME? If your internship was not AOA accredited, then you might need to repeat internship year. The AOBFP certification boards require that you complete an AOA approved internship. I'm not sure if there is a way around this. I would ask the PD at the residency you are interested in or just contact the AOBFP directly at www.aobfp.org

The AOBFP is the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians. You will want to be Board Certified at some point. Technically, I don't think you can even call yourself Board Eligible unless the AOBFP accepts your internship year. You need to be Board Eligible to participate in Medicare, Medicaid, and pretty much any insurance plans.

Easy solution. ANY allopathic FM program has an intern year that the AOA will approve. Print out the resolution 42 info off the AOA website and come up with a reason to apply for it. They basically give you every reason under the sun, so just make one your cause! Then when you get your intern year approved, simply transfer. Your AOA program will be happy to have you.